Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Broken Fridge = Fermentation Chamber?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
BennyN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 74
Default Broken Fridge = Fermentation Chamber?

Hi guys.

I have a completely broken fridge I'd like to turn into a fermentation chamber. Ideally, I could do this without the use of costly electronics (or any at all).

Would a few frozen jugs in the veggie tray work?

It's a typical looking fridge.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!

__________________
BennyN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyN View Post
Hi guys.

I have a completely broken fridge I'd like to turn into a fermentation chamber. Ideally, I could do this without the use of costly electronics (or any at all).

Would a few frozen jugs in the veggie tray work?

It's a typical looking fridge.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance!
Yes, it will work. I've been doing this for several years with an old broken fridge. I put frozen 2 liter PET bottles in it for cooling and a small heater when warming is required (which isn't very often). I monitor the temp in the fridge and add the frozen water bottles as needed. It works much better than I ever expected and it's really not much trouble to switch out the bottles. This time of year, I just put the bottles outside my back door and jack frost freezes them for me at zero cost.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Hammy71
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Hammy71's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: , Maryland, The Tax Me State
Posts: 5,665
Liked 426 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Default

I did that for a little while last year when my fermentation fridge died. It worked as a stop gap measure but became enough of a hassle (let alone not being real precise on the temperatures), that I went out and found an old fridge for 50 bucks in the paper.

__________________
Hammy71 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #4
BennyN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 74
Default

Awesome! So I'm definitely going to go with the frozen bottle method until I can either fix this fridge or buy another for cheap. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to freeze some bottles and see how many I need to get the temp right.

__________________
BennyN is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 AM   #5
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyN View Post
Awesome! So I'm definitely going to go with the frozen bottle method until I can either fix this fridge or buy another for cheap. Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to freeze some bottles and see how many I need to get the temp right.
If you have the space, keep the broken fridge even if you get another to replace it. It's a good place to store bottled beer and anything else you want to keep in the dark.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
spaceyaquarius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 401
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
If you have the space, keep the broken fridge even if you get another to replace it. It's a good place to store bottled beer and anything else you want to keep in the dark.
Like the secret porn stash that the wife doesn't know about. Plus bottled beer of course.
__________________
spaceyaquarius is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken fridge for fermentation chamber? pattatat Fermenters 8 01-23-2012 05:04 PM
Dorm Fridge for Fermentation Chamber? Lodovico Fermenters 10 11-15-2010 06:11 PM
Dorm Fridge Fermentation Chamber gtn80 Fermenters 2 08-05-2009 03:22 PM
Fridge Fermentation Chamber FlyingSailor Fermenters 2 07-29-2009 04:49 PM
Size of fridge for fermentation chamber BioBeing Fermenters 8 03-14-2009 04:45 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS