Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Aluminum SCUBA tank Conical?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
demagxc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Aluminum SCUBA tank Conical?

I own 2 old aluminum 80 scuba tanks that I can no longer fill because the batch of aluminum used to make them was flawed and was causing tanks to explode...So i would like to re-purpose them as fermentors. My first concern is the aluminum being exposed the PH of fermenting beer. I was wondering if there would be a good way to line the inside of the tanks so i could use them as conicals. If I can line them it should be easy enough to remove the valve and install a new one and a yeast catcher. Also, I am sure I could create some kind of lid, but first I need to see if lining the tanks is even possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
kickrjason
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

IMHO it sounds like more trouble then what its worth.

Tap#1 Summer Saison
Tap#2 Amarillo Pale Ale

Primary English Mild
Secondary -Vanilla Chai Mead

Kegged Haüs Hefeweisen #4, Speckled Heifer Cream Ale
Bottled - Cherry Oatmeal Stout, Burbon Vanilla Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Hefeweisen, Stubborn Baby Pale Ale,
horseinmay Likes This 
Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
hansonian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I've got a couple old SCUBA tanks like that too. I don't know what you'd be able to line the insides with, it would have to be a liquid type process. Once you get the valve off there isn't enough room to really put anything into it.

I would re-purpose them into a snazzy mailbox or something else. I'm all for recycling materials into new projects but I can't see how these would work for you.

If you do get them up and running in your brewing operation I'll buy you a six-pack just to see what you did with them.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #4
BiggieB400
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you seen the fire extinguisher beer dispenser??

It would require a dip tube, faucet, the ability to pressurize and probably a handle...

image-2224553243.jpg  

Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
BiggieB400
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh... And you'd have to get creative when it runs dry and it needs to be cleaned!!

I think it really comes down to how much you are willing to modify them. In their current condition, your options are very limited IMO. Keep us posted on what you decide!!

Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
bschot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did a quick search and I came up with some food safe epoxies. I used 'food safe coatings.' You'll want to your own research on if constant contact is okay, including pH, safe for contact with alcohol, etc., etc., etc. To coat; I'd want stuff that is more like thick water, I'd pour some in, seal it (I'd be careful not to foul any threads or such so you can add or remove fittings) and turn it about to coat the entire inside. Pour out the excess, let it cure and inspect the results. I would imagine you will want to do at least 2 coats. Research, research, research (its free and e-mail manufacturers, that's free too) and use your best judgement.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
demagxc
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone! It looks like I have a few options. I did find some of the food grade epoxy coatings and sent a few emails out about them. I also found a few cross section pictures of aluminum tanks and it seems like there is more space inside than I thought. I will keep everyone posted if I find any more info and decide to move forward.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

How much volume do they hold? 3gal?

IMO not worth the trouble.

And now you see that Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb!

Old 06-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
demagxc
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I looked at a few different food grade epoxy options and although they were food grade and cheep, they couldn't tolerate the low PH. One company named Carboline does offer a product called Plasite 9133 that would work perfectly.

http://www.carboline.com/markets-we-...)&product=163P

Below are the emails I got from the company

Quote:
Plasite 9133 available 3 colors light gray, white, light blue, in 1 gallon unit or 5 gallon unit.. Price without freight or tax if applicable is $92.84 per gallon in 5's or $94.84 per gallon in 1's..Thinner #71 in 1 gallon is $27.76
Quote:
Plasite 9133 in all listed colors is a food grade lining suitable for aqueous food contact. BUT regardless of the substrate (stainless steel, carbon steel or aluminum) the Plasite 9133 must be force cured at 225F (substrate temperature) for 4 hours before being subjected to aqueous food immersion (in this case beer). As long the immersion temperature does not exceed 100F, Plasite 9133 that has been properly installed and force cured will handle beer (regardless of brand).
For the price I might as well put together a plastic conical. There might be some other project where the cost of this stuff would make it worth it but sadly this is not that project.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
nhwrecker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Scrap aluminum is going for around $0.50-60/lb right now, so your old tanks are worth about $15 each in scrap. I sold a bunch of pre '90 tanks last year with some other aluminum scrap, and ended up getting over $150 - you can put the $$ towards plastic connicals.

Quick Reply