Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Allied 1000W Bucket Heater

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
mZnthebend
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Allied 1000W Bucket Heater

It almost seems to easy. 1000W 120V Immersion Bucket Heater. I have seem them all over the web, but Tractor Supply sells them as well.

Tractor Supply Company - Allied Bucket Heater

I fully understand it is only 1000W and little low on wattage, but it seems to be a good alternative to drilling another hole in my Keggle HLT. Or at least a good intro to the Electric HLT. Possibly two on dedicated circuits. (From other websites, I have determined the "auto-shut off" is for if it is run out of water.)

Does anyone have any experience with one of these units?

Thanks

pwm74 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think you'd need two.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, it says it'll heat water past 150 but usually those things are just designed to prevent freezing, not boil.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm sure it will work, might take some time though. Probably work well in a cooler to heat batch / sparge water. You are not going to boil much at that wattage! I use
2000W heatsticks and even w/ 2 of them it takes time.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #5
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It does work...two of them can bring a pot of wort to boiling in 35 minutes. The Brewing Network • View topic - Electric Brew Heater - Ever used one? Look at the second post

I posted this on another thread like 2 minutes ago...cool.

Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch

Is this guy serious??:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
For those of you who saw my post on the williams thread, I got 2 williams heaters, the 15 and the 11 inch. The one ( the 15 inch ) committed hari kari, the other just didnt have the umph to boil water period. So, I sent those 2 back and got my 380 buck refund.
So, now i just went out and spent 100 bucks, for 2 of these bucket heaters. They were 49 bucks each, but thats up here in alaska, so, considering shipping, that was a good price. So, Ill be testing them tonight hopefully, and Ill let you folks know just how fast they can boil, and they claim they can be used in plastic due to the gaurd, so ill see if it can heat up the water in my coleman extreme (to mash temps) if they will submerse. If not, Ill do both mash and boil tests in a 50 qt SS pot. If nothing else, they should be able to assist the stove top with my big pots, and that would be a step in the right direction.
Again, a guinea pig for my pards on this forum. But, that the kind of character I am
I bid you all a great day, and will report back when able.....

Sean Thornton (John Wayne) "I'll have one of those black beers."
Pat Cohan (Harry Tyler) the publican "Ah, the porter. Yes sir."
From 'The Quiet Man' 1952

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Orfy Likes This 
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Medo
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ahoy hoy,
Well, I write this after returning from the feed store, where I just finished returning the 2 bucket heaters.
Not to critique anyones claims, but these things are complete failures when it comes to boiling water. I put the 2 of them in 5 gallons of water, and after 2 hours they had peaked at about 175F. There wasnt a ghost of a chance that these things could ever bring 5 gallons to boil. So, folks, if you want to heat up water to 150 or so for mashing, they can do that, in 45 minutes or so. But if you want to boil wort, forget it. Dont waste your money. I did that for you. But got it back. So, other then waiting for the refund to show up on my card in 3 days or so, no harm done.
Anyways, I told you folks I would let you know what happened, so as to save someone else the grief. I know I know, the things I do in the pursuit of an electric wort boiler....
I bid you all a great day!

Sean Thornton (John Wayne) "I'll have one of those black beers."
Pat Cohan (Harry Tyler) the publican "Ah, the porter. Yes sir."
From 'The Quiet Man' 1952

"Tell me, Alvis - for all wights' fate
I deem that, dwarf, thou knowest -
how the beer is hight which is brewed by men,
in all the worlds so wide?"

- The Lay of Alvis

Visit my beer blog at http://homebrew.medofernandez.com

Old 10-11-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
mZnthebend
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
Ahoy hoy,
Well, I write this after returning from the feed store, where I just finished returning the 2 bucket heaters.
Not to critique anyones claims, but these things are complete failures when it comes to boiling water. I put the 2 of them in 5 gallons of water, and after 2 hours they had peaked at about 175F. There wasnt a ghost of a chance that these things could ever bring 5 gallons to boil. So, folks, if you want to heat up water to 150 or so for mashing, they can do that, in 45 minutes or so. But if you want to boil wort, forget it. Dont waste your money. I did that for you. But got it back. So, other then waiting for the refund to show up on my card in 3 days or so, no harm done.
Anyways, I told you folks I would let you know what happened, so as to save someone else the grief. I know I know, the things I do in the pursuit of an electric wort boiler....
I bid you all a great day!
Medo,

I really appreciate your feedback. I wasn't planning on using them for boiling, but great feedback. Guess I can scratch that trip off of my list of errands to run this weekend. Sounds like you are on a mission, please post back on what success you have.

Thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
salamastre
Recipes 

Reviving zombie thread because it is the first result in google for homebrew bucket heater.

DO NOT USE IT

I got one to help my crappy electric stove get to a rolling boil. It will get to boiling a lot faster, but then it will get into an on/off cycle that gives you 5 seconds of rolling boil every 20 seconds or so.

Since other people in other forums and here claim to use them for boiling, I thought mine was defective and called the company. The engineer says that it is the way it is designed to work, it shuts off when it gets to boiling. I am at sea level, maybe someone living at altitude can get a continuous boil if their water boils under the shut-off temperature.

But most importantly, the engineer said that the product is not FDA approved, it uses lead solder, the element's material may leach nasty stuff and finally it will corrode if used to heat up acidic solutions.

It sounded too good to be true. Good thing I was able to return it.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have one of the Allied bucket heaters. I use it to heat up my strike & sparge water in a 50 quart Ice cube cooler. It will bring 12 gallons of water to boiling temperaure in this cooler. It does take some time to reach boiling; several hours at least. I get around this by using a timer to turn on the heater 4 hours before I plan to dough-in. I blend cold tap water with some of the water from the HLT to bring it down to the desired strike temperature from boiling.

The Bucket Heater does not have sufficient power to use it for boiling wort, so I would not recommend it for that use.

Regarding it being rated food safe, it's much like some of the pumps and other equipment commonly used in home brewing. Allied never intended for the bucket heater to be used in food preparation and therefore, never pursued a food safe rating. Why would they? I see no sign of solder anywhere on any part of the bucket heater that would be in contact with the liquid being heated. The element shield is stainless steel. I see no evidence of corrosion on the heating element after repeated use. I think the element is copper, but I'm not at all certain of that. It might be different with acidic solutions. I doubt that the guy you talked to was an engineer at all. I'm skeptical that they would have an engineer taking customer service calls. Maybe he was just trying to impress you. That happens a lot. In any case, I have no plans to stop using mine.

Quick Reply