Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Advice for small fridge deconstruction...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
tidehouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice for small fridge deconstruction...

I have a small Haier freezer/fridge that I want to use for a kegerator. It is the kind that has a metal ice box on top like this:

The ice box has cooling coils on the bottom and sides:

What I want to do is cut the top part (just metal, no coils) off the ice box and bend the sides in without damaging the coils (i hope) to make enough clearance for the cornys.

This is what I was thinking of doing to make the ice box smaller:

Think this will work? Any other ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
walther
Recipes 

How about cutting a round hole in the bottom of the fridge the same diameter as the keg ?

just a thought,...

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
ggoodman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

when I get home I'll shoot some pics of my fridge(same one your using) I took the hardware out of the ceeling, removed the screws holding the cooling coild nd copper tube on the back then put a socket under the tub on the inside and bent it towards the back wall slowly. then i used tin snips to cut the top and sides of the freezer box leaving ont the cooling coils. that I then screwed to the back of the fridge. removing the screws holing the coils on the back of the fridge allows you to apread the stress of the bend.

Fly Casters Brewing

"Aint nothing better than Fishing and Brewing Beer"

Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2350 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Maybe cut the top portion off and bend what's left over down so that it lays against the back of the fridge?

Homer's Brew Log

Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
tidehouse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
when I get home I'll shoot some pics of my fridge(same one your using) I took the hardware out of the ceeling, removed the screws holding the cooling coild nd copper tube on the back then put a socket under the tub on the inside and bent it towards the back wall slowly. then i used tin snips to cut the top and sides of the freezer box leaving ont the cooling coils. that I then screwed to the back of the fridge. removing the screws holing the coils on the back of the fridge allows you to apread the stress of the bend.
That's a hell of an idea, i'd love to see some pics when you get them. Were you able to fit 2 corny's in it? I was going to cut out the shelves on the door and the sides and try to squeeze them in.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Ben25
Recipes 

I think I have the same fridge too. Did the same thing ggoodman did. Plus cut off the shelves on the door (razor knife works great) and cut off the nubs for the shelves on the sides. Also removed the stock thermostat and put a different one on top. with the stock thermostat it stayed at about 33*.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
ggoodman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hey you beat me to it. yes it will hold two cornies and a 5 lb tank. it's a tight fit but the pic above shows what needed. I painted the inside of mine black and put caster on the bottom.

Fly Casters Brewing

"Aint nothing better than Fishing and Brewing Beer"

Old 06-10-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
tidehouse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
hey you beat me to it. yes it will hold two cornies and a 5 lb tank. it's a tight fit but the pic above shows what needed. I painted the inside of mine black and put caster on the bottom.
You were really able to hold the 2 corny's with the tank? I was planning on just running the gas lines through the sidewall. I definitely need to shave down the door and sides to fit the two kegs in, its a very tight squeeze. You were able to fit the tank in the back between the two kegs? Seems like the diameter of the tank is wider than the back ledge and I know the corny's fit tight up against it with very little wiggle room.

Edit: Wow, I guess the ledge and the tank are both 5". I thought for sure I was going to have some sort of frankenfridge with tubes coming out the sides but now it looks like it will go in clean. Plus with the coils out of the way I can run the lines through the top to the tower. Not bad for a fridge I've had since I lived in dorms!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Tiredboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Guess it might be a bit late to revive an old thread but could either of the people who did this (or anyone doing similar) manage to get 2 corneys in there? I have a similar looking fridge (thread and details at http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...-7cuft-353044/) and with the ice-box and door "modification" I could probably get 1 corney in the front but it's not wide enough (I don't think) to get 2 side by side. The only option I can think of is a 5G at the front and a 3G on the hump at the back. However, with this thread I am tempted to give it a go!

Quick Reply