3 Gallon Carboy Diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsbobbyagain

Reaction score
Could someone with a 3 gallon carboy please measure the diameter of it? I want to see if it will fit in my mini fridge. Thanks!

Thanks, that's exactly the width I have. I've been brewing 1 gallon batches but want to go bigger.

I can fit 3, 1 gallon jugs, but I don't get the headspace for krausen development. Blowoff is a pain as well with 1 gallon.

Thanks, that's exactly the width I have. I've been brewing 1 gallon batches but want to go bigger.

I can fit 3, 1 gallon jugs, but I don't get the headspace for krausen development. Blowoff is a pain as well with 1 gallon.

Not a problem. But you know, you could relatively easily build a ferm chamber with that mini fridge to do 5 gallon batches. Just an idea.

Not a problem. But you know, you could relatively easily build a ferm chamber with that mini fridge to do 5 gallon batches. Just an idea.

Also, I double checked by measuring the circumference, and when I plug that in for diameter I'm getting 9.3".

So, there's that.

Another thing to consider is that a 3 gallon better-bottle is 7.5"

Its the smallest GE mini fridge. Do you think I could get a 5 gallon in there?

3 gallons would be a good size for me considering I live in a tiny apartment. I'm starting AG soon, right now I just have a 8 quart boil kettle.

I'm starting AG soon. I have a cooler picked out for mashing.

Thanks again for measuring. It sounds like ill need to do some cutting for a regular carboy but a better bottle might work nicely?

People turn those mini fridges into ferm chambers by removing the door and surrounding them in ply-wood and foam insulation...sort of like putting the fridge in a large wooden box. Sounds like your apt. might not have the room for that, however.

I have glass carboys and plastic better-bottles and prefer the better-bottles. They are lighter and easier to clean...and won't cut you to pieces if you drop them.

As for sizing, the glass carboys are smaller in diameter on the bottom and the top...so your fridge walls might have enough flex to take the added .15" on either side. Also, I measured both of my 3 gallon glass carboys and one was 29" in circumference, the other about 29.15". So there seems to be a bit of variance between them.

Gotcha, for now any way I have to stick with what I have. I can modify the inside, but since it sits in my living room I have to keep the outside the way it is. Hopefully ill be getting a house with a garage within the next year and then it's on! Haha.

Thanks for all the info. I looked at the BB site. They look like a real nice option. The large opening is nice, I might be able to finally use a thermowell. I think that's my direction for now.

Back