Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > 15 Gallon Conical Fermenter Cooling System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #61
18DPA
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ship it home...hmmmm Not so much.

The type C are fine. With the hose I bought at Home Depot its a snug fit but I was able to pull them apart. I'm afraid with the barb/Larger Diameter it wouldn't happen. Flow seems to be fine as well.

For the brewing side I'm glad I did go with the larger bore ones. My office and work bench are such a mess of boxes and packaging right now and a lot of it says "stainless brewing" all over it. Thanks!

De Oppresso Liber

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #62
modobrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DPA
Here it is on a test run.

Im trying to cool 5 gallons of water. Usually I'll brew 12 gallon batches but I want to test it at minimum capacity first. The bottom of the thermowell and the coil sit at about 2.5 gallons.

So far no leaks and it runs fine.

Pond Pump in stollen 5 gallon RO water jug. That cord into Ranco.

Ranco temp controller probe goes into brewers hardware's longest unthreaded thermowell (really well made).

Water is 80 degrees right now and fridge isn't cool either I'm going to wait to run the pump until its cooled off.

Also I am planning on a racking port but that is down the road a bit. All my fittings are in a box and I can't remember which are for the upcoming electric brewery.

Questions: What was the consensus on the airlocks on this? Needed not needed? I know you have to seal the lid etc etc. Spotty Dog I think you go without right?
Let us know how your test went with cooling with the dorm fridge. Looks great btw! Nice job.

Also interested in how well your yeast catcher works.
Carboy 2: Empty
Secondary: Vanilla Bourbon Porter
Bottle: Hibernation Ale Clone
Bottle: Houblonmonstre Tripel IPA
Keg 1: Southern Tier Pumking Clone
Keg 2: Kolsch
Keg 3: Angry Wolf IIPA

Old 07-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #63
18DPA

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ooops. I'm about 3 sheets to the wind so bear with me. My dorm fridge is the typical at barracks fridge. I'll post details later.... If I run the ranco it won't bring the temp of the circulating water down. So if I run just the fridge it for about 8 hours then turn the system on it wlll drop the conical down about 5 points. Goinf back and forth I've got it cycling at 65 degrees. Going to brew an ale tomorrow so I'll see how it does with the exo thermic yeast.

De Oppresso Liber

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #64
18DPA

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry its been a little while since I posted. I've been building my electric brewery. Cutting holes in brand new Blichmanns and building temp probes. Not to mention I got the wrong locknuts and spent the evening destroying a 1" stainless nipple!! That was fun!

OK This project rocks!!! All I have to say is temperature control temperature control temperature control!!! Dumped the trub at 1 week and sampled the beer and it tasted ready to drink although I'm going to give it a couple more weeks to attenuate a little more.

So the cheap dorm fridge has been able to hold the 65 degrees. I had to move it to a different room in the house though because my office gets about 85 degrees mid day when we aren't home. Now that its in the right room the pump doesn't' cycle that often and it even went down to 64 one evening.

I also figured out that if I seal up the reservoir it doesn't evaporate onto the cooling panel inside the fridge and build up ice.

Question for you all. Glycol? Does it evaporate? I was thinking RV antifreeze just 50/50 or maybe even less.

All said and done I would do this exact thing over again. I may end up building a second and see if the dorm fridge can keep enough water cool to run two.

If I had money to burn I would buy the Morebeer set up but I'm still around $500 for the whole thing.

De Oppresso Liber

Old 07-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #65
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Nice engineering ,I really like those cam locks just ordered mine

Old 07-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #66
JLo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got a similar setup on my v-vessel, right now I'm just running filtered water with some StarSan

Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #67
vinper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I bought the 1/2" cam locks . the male side looks like the inside diameter reduces down to like 3/8" and could restrict a lager gpm pump

Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #68
drkwoods
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Great Build 18 LOVE IT!! I was thinking exact same set up except I want to run glycol/water mix from a corney keg in my Keezer? would that work?
Also: question can you get this conical with a male threaded drain to avoid internal tank threads? or am I overthinking this? thanxxx in advance!

drkwoods
DarKWoods Brewing
My Unique Single Tier Brut-esque HERMS Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...-build-293204/

Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #69
18DPA

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think that might even work better. I would open the little pressure release valve on the corny so you don't ahve to mess with it being a closed system. I put glycol mix in mine last night. I kept having problems with the water in it evaporating off and freezing around the little coil in dorm fridge. Once I figure out how to close the system more besides plastic wrap over the water jug I cut the top off I'll post pics.

Plus the dorm fridge has had a hard time keeping up during the first couple days of fermentation and that is on 5 gallon batches. I will be curious to see how it handles a 12 gallon batch of something with a vigorous fermentation like a hefe or a big belgian.

But yes I think your plan will work well. Just make sure you get a pond pump with enough ass to push the water high enough. Like the Original poster was talking about.

Yeast catcher rocks. The first batch through was crystal clear! its a bit big for 5 gallon batch but when I go back to 12 gallon I think it will be better. I just did an IPA monday so I'll see how much trub I get out of it. As for the threads on the conical I don't think they make it the other way. Yes over thinking it. With the big 1.5" valve threaded almost all the way in there is only 1 or 2 threads exposed. It cleaned out really easy with just garden hose. I didn't even use PBW just star san and I'm normaly a nazi with cleaning.

De Oppresso Liber

Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #70
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

subsribe

Quick Reply