Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Welding two sanke kegs together??
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #11
brewingmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

might look like this...although cut different.

double-keg.jpg  

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
Gwitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ya, that keg needs some explanation. All i can think right now is what were they smokin when they decided to do that.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I have two sets of these in the works. Will post pics when done. The problem i have not is aligning the kegs together, there's a few mm difference in size and the kegs are slightly less than circular.

Great timing on the posts. I'm about 1/2 done, but with a 2 wk old and hoping to switch houses completion is going to take some time : )

Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Honestly, this sounds like way more work, time, and money than it's worth. Even if you have all the materials, a welder will charge you at least 2 hours for the job, and that's if your cut is perfect and he doesn't have to set up a backpurge, which means you'll either be left with a thick ring of burnt black metal on the inside, or pay for another hour of his time or take yours to grind it all down.
Then how much will this thing hold? the tapered portion of the kegs which you'll have to cut off holds 2.5 gallons, and you're losing that off both, so 15.5+7.75-5=18.25 gallons

20 gallon stainless pots will be cheaper than the welding fees alone, and you won't have a mash tun that looks like Frankenstein's cock.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought
People Like This 
Old 06-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #15
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I've measured how much is in the bottom cone of a 1/2 bbl keg. All of three quarts. No idea where you get 2.5 gallons from. Even if I lose the volume from one cone (the top keg) I won't lose it from the bottom too. Plus that's wort down there. After draining my keg mash tun I leave all of a quart behind (maybe).

I'm goimg to talk with the welder I normally use to see what makes most sense. I prefer the cone in the bottom of the keg under a false bottom. Especially using one from NorCal.

Plus, as I already mentioned, I have these kegs on hand. The 1/4 bbl keg has already been cut some so it's either destined for a small HLT or something else. The 1/2 bbl keg is a spare so its easy to use.

If I end up being unable to mate these two, then I'll probably have another section welded in the middle. I'm looking to make this large enough so that I can mash enough for some BIG brews. Things in the area of 40# of grain (or more). I have a brew in my list (for within tbe next couple of months) that calls for 35-40# of grain. I'll be able to use some parts from my current mash tun with a modified keggle mash tun, making this the smarter choice IMO. It will probably have a total actual capacity of close to 23 gallons. Even dropping .75 for under the false bottom I'm at 22.5 gallons. Then it's just a matter of how I place the fittings towards the top (AutoSparge and recirc). If I go with getting a section of stainless welded in (not from the donor keg) then it probably cost more than I'd like to spend. Might still so it though. Since the kegs are already on hand costing me NOTHING to use this way. As for cleaning up discoloration post weld. I have no issue doing that myself. IME it wont take me all that long since I have grinders already. I also have the Gator pads to do it. I'm even thinking about polishing this one up.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What they are referring to is that kegs are not perfectly cylindrical. Even discounting the bowls at top and bottom, the large area between is tapered a bit meaning you Ned to cut both parts within very tight tolerances so they will match up for a nice weld.

As a welder, I don't think it would be a huge deal to tig it...the surfaces are pretty big and flat so it's not like welding in fittings... But you'll want it backpurged and the welder will want the pieces cut and mated as perfectly as manageable. If it were me, i would want the surfaces within a half millimeter at most...

On Tap (Nitro): Chocolate Palomino - just kicked! ACK
On Tap 1: empty. . .On Tap 2: empty. . .On Tap 3: Flawed Garnet (black currant saison)
In Secondary:
In Primary:
Next up: Gold Dust Pale Ale

Old 06-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
and you won't have a mash tun that looks like Frankenstein's cock.
HAHA you got a LOL from me on that one. good show sir!

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 06-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #18
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Seems like you got if figured out diggie, good luck

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Klyph, how do you know what Frankenstein's cock looks like (assuming you're referring to the monster, not the doctor)??

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I'm goimg to talk with the welder I normally use to see what makea most sense. I prefer the cone in the bottom of the keg under a flase bottom.
Might still so it though.
I assume you are 'going' 'to' 'make a' 'false'.

Nothing constructive added with this, just giving Golddiggie some of his own medicine about his frequent habit of correcting other posters' minor spelling errors.

Even though Golddiggie's requests for advice are just rhetorical, the previous advice regarding issues with geometry, prep, fitment, etc.; and instead getting a ~20" diameter 20-26 gallon mega-update-thunder-stock-pot was very sound. The 26g is occasionally on special for $200 delivered. It will easily mash a 55lb sack.

There are opportunity costs for everything, even for things you have laying around and your 'free' time.

The cone/dish bottom does not have any real advantages for an MLT, especially if fly sparging.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply