Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Welding two sanke kegs together??
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default Welding two sanke kegs together??

Checking to see if anyone has tried welding (or having welded) two sanke kegs together. I'm thinking about welding a pony to a 1/2 bbl keg in order to make a taller mash tun. This would help when I need/want to mash more than ~30# of grain in my current keg mash tun. Since a pony is only about half the height of a 1/2 bbl it should still be manageable. Plus, I'll be able to either use my current false bottom, or easily get another one (NorCal/Jaybird of course).

So, if you've welded a two sanke kegs together, post up your experiences in doing so. If no one has, then I'll have to post up when it comes time and what the experience is as well as the end result. Chances are, I'll have someone that welds a lot do this, so it's done right.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #2
roadymi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

For this price http://shop.usedstainlesssteelbarrel...ess-OT1240.htm I'm not sure I would destry 2 kegs, pay someone to weld them together, and have a weld seam to worry about sanitizing.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Few issues with your post...

1. I don't need 55 gallon capacity.
2. I won't be able to use my current false bottom (if I decide to not get a new one for when using the second mash tun).
3. I already HAVE the two kegs on hand. So all I need to do is some cutting, grinding, and then get them welded together. I doubt it would take more than an hour to weld the two together, which would cost me all of $40...
4. I like the cone bottom of the kegs, you don't get that with the barrels.
5. Since this is pre-boil, no sanitizing involved. Simply have to CLEAN it between uses, just like I do now.

Anyone have something useful/helpful to post??

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1973 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Few issues with your post...

Not with your attitude.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
brewingmeister
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can't see how it wouldn't work if you cut the top of the big keg and the bottom off the smaller one. Finding a good stainless welder might be the toughest part, you could cut them yourself and drop them off to get welded. Kegs are already heavy so one and a half kegs might get cumbersome though.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:

Well........I thought I was trying to be helpful.......offering up an alternative....with that attitude I'll be sure to not let it happen again though.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
texasbrewer73
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
1. I don't need 55 gallon capacity.
2. I won't be able to use my current false bottom (if I decide to not get a new one for when using the second mash tun).
3. I already HAVE the two kegs on hand. So all I need to do is some cutting, grinding, and then get them welded together. I doubt it would take more than an hour to weld the two together, which would cost me all of $40...
4. I like the cone bottom of the kegs, you don't get that with the barrels.
5. Since this is pre-boil, no sanitizing involved. Simply have to CLEAN it between uses, just like I do now.
Since you already know what you want, why not just do it and then post some pics on how the project turned out?

Old 06-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #8
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would not cut it yourself. Most welders are picky and would want to cut it themselves so they know it was done right and cut straight. I don't see any issue with it, even if there is a little slag on the inside you can grind it smooth and polish it since the top is cut open.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
OneHoppyGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 52

What you'll get is a very deep mash tun that will be difficult to clean and will most likely have efficiency issues due to it's shape. It will also look like 2 kegs welded together.
On the flip side, ingenuity is what makes this hobby so great.

Everybody chill and have a homebrew...

Brewright. All Rights Reserved. We reserve the right to brew and to help you brew. To protect the brew and defend the brew. To make the brew and drink the brew.

BrewSteel.com
BrewSteel on Facebook

Old 06-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
Gwitz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, being a welder i dont see there being any difficulty in welding two kegs together except. Iv noticed kegs do have a bit of a taper to them at certain junctions, they arnt perfectly cylindrical so mating them up will be the trick. Thats the only issue id see. Also as onehoppyguy mentioned grain mashing benefits from a certain width to height ratio. So making your mashtun taller will allow more grain for sure, but it adds more weight to your false bottom, probably making suck sparges more likely and definitely less efficient than a wider shallower mashtun. Otherwise fly at it!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply