Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > To weld or not to weld...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #21
Swagman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No weld I Respectfully Decline

Weld In my book only way to Go.

Dominus Vobiscum
Swagman

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 03:01 AM   #22
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll second that Swag, weld once and forget about about any future troubles within a couple lifetimes of use after.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #23
Dog House Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
No weld I Respectfully Decline

Weld In my book only way to Go.

Dominus Vobiscum
Swagman
No doubt I agree. Welded is the only way to go. That said, I understand weldless for people w/o the means. Hard to pass up a no worry leakless conection for a lifetime.

Are You Going to Drink all That?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #24
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'd say weld if you can. I'm much happier with my welded connections than I was with the weldless. No leaks, easy to clean.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #25
tomroeder
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Weldless is nice because no matter what, you are not married to whatever piece that you have welded in there. I realize that you may never have the need to change the part that is welded in there, but just in case you ever wanted to, or needed to (damaged threads, who knows). Granted, this is unlikely, but is one thing to consider.

Plus you have the ability to take everything apart for full sanitation if you had the desire.

May be a weak argument, but weldless is do-able by the average joe for free, welded may not be.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #26
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

a MIG welder won't weld kegs because they are stainless. I use your welder's big brother @ work on a daily basis, you can get a spool adapter for aluminum, but not Stainless Steel. Only way to do that is w/ a TIG. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure i'm not. If you do find a Stainless adapter, or stainless wire, lemme know cause that would be great news.

I'd say check bargainfittings for weldless fititngs, or check out his thread on here about soldering stainless steel. or find a shop near you that can weld stainless and try to bring their welder with some beer (even if it means buying him a case of BMC)

also, don't waste your time with a hole saw. Get a step bit (the best ones are Irwin's UNIBit). I drill through all types and thickeness of metal (from 22 ga to 1/4 in) every day, and those things last months and months. I've tried the hole saw and it just burns the teeth up after a couple holes, even on 18ga galvanized sheet metal.)

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 02-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #27
GreenMonti
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA_from_GA View Post
a MIG welder won't weld kegs because they are stainless. I use your welder's big brother @ work on a daily basis, you can get a spool adapter for aluminum, but not Stainless Steel. Only way to do that is w/ a TIG. I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure i'm not. If you do find a Stainless adapter, or stainless wire, lemme know cause that would be great news.
Sorry but your just wrong.
Did you even go to the link he posted? There is absolutely no reason that machine can't, wont, or even come close to not pushing or welding SS. Sorry.

Would you like to see pics of a spool gun and a couple rolls of SS wire to go in it? I can't tell you how many times I have run SS and Alum through my spool gun. That is what I bought it for. I have also run the the large all the way down to the 2lb spools of SS wire.

Here is a link to a 25lb spool of MIG wire.
http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...et.aspx?p=6272

Edit:
Here is another link that shows the smaller spools.
http://www.southernwelding.com/brows...3&WT.svl=12633

Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #28
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My Miller 30A Spoolmatic handles aluminum as well stainless without a problem with the Miler 251 Mig machine.
Later use the Mig wire with the Tig.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 AM   #29
ThePig
Recipes 

Please don't weld stainless unless you know, or have a reasonable idea about what you are doing. Pay someone to weld it or go weldless. Welding keg stainless is tough, it's not the highest quality and burn-throughs, warpage & back sugar from inadequate purging are only a few of the challenges that you need to be very familiar with before you even think about touching those kegs. I did all the welding on my keggles with my Miller 180 SD TIG - only because I had some experience welding stainless. For me, it was still extremely difficult to get it all right. It came out nice but it was painfully slow.

When I recently needed several new sets of tri-clamps, the first thing I did is to reach out to Swagman - not because I couldn't weld them myself but because Swagman is a heck of a lot better (and faster) at it than I am. I don't have cash coming out my ears, but there are times when you have to dig deep and get it done right the first time. Believe me - paying to have them welded is gonna be cheaper than replacing 3,4 or 5 kegs before you get it right.

Get some scrap stainless and practice, practice and practice. You can MIG weld stainless but it's not going to be pretty. With some practice you can make that not-so-pretty weld look half good, but it's gonna take some time behind the gun.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:34 AM   #30
x2wdtoyotax
Recipes 

A fellow homebrewer has been kind enough to ship me a roll of stainless MIG wire. So I am going to pickup a few fittings and practice on some scrap. I won't mess with the real deal until I am 100% confident. To be perfectly honest.... all the negative feedback about attempting to MIG weld stainless makes me want to experiment that much more. MIG welding on mild steel is nearly idiot proof. Now I feel obligated to at least try it out. I'll take some pictures when I am done.

My current brews...

MiniBrew 6.5 - Firestone Pale 31 Clone (oaked)
5 Gal Secondary - Empty

Keg 1 - Empty
Keg 2 - Empty

Bottled -
Belgian Summer Saison

Tags
all grain, hole saw, keggle, weld, weld-less

Quick Reply