BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Is there a taste to the caulk?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
beerloin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hebron, Ct
Posts: 121
Likes Given: 7

Default Is there a taste to the caulk?

Hey all - I bought a 36qt Igloo Marine cooler this week and made a mash tun.
Lowes didn't have all of the fittings in stock for the bulkhead, so I fabricated one out of the parts they have there. My question is - I used silicone caulk around the drain hole. The caulk said it was good for temperatures upto 400.

IF this is leak proof, (I haven't tested it yet), do you think that there will be any off-flavors from the silicone?

Thanks!

__________________
beerloin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,772
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerloin View Post
Hey all - I bought a 36qt Igloo Marine cooler this week and made a mash tun.
Lowes didn't have all of the fittings in stock for the bulkhead, so I fabricated one out of the parts they have there. My question is - I used silicone caulk around the drain hole. The caulk said it was good for temperatures upto 400.

IF this is leak proof, (I haven't tested it yet), do you think that there will be any off-flavors from the silicone?

Thanks!
Not once it cures. I would have used food grade silicone sealant though.
__________________

Guy

Sawdustguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
gunner65
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 844
Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I don't know how the caulk tastes cause I don't eat caulk.

__________________

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

gunner65 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,530
Liked 515 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

Someone needs to call Home Depot and ask "Excuse me... but what does your caulk taste like?"

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IrregularPulse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44,301
Liked 2830 Times on 2773 Posts
Likes Given: 131

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerloin View Post
Is there a taste to the Caulk?
I imagine there must be a very rotten taste to. Makes my swmbo gag every time. But that may be because she's trying to fit too much in at once.
__________________
Tap Room Hobo

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom
IrregularPulse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,099
Liked 168 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

White caulk or black caulk?

__________________
wildwest450 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
emissary
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: texas
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Someone needs to call Home Depot and ask "Excuse me... but what does your caulk taste like?"
Haaaaaahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Nothing like some tasteless caulk jokes to brighten my day!
__________________
emissary is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Synovia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 1,327
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Not once it cures. I would have used food grade silicone sealant though.
He may get lucky. Most of the caulks are food safe, despite not being labled as such. GE/etc generally only make up a couple different formulas, and add additives to give them different properties. They don't bother getting most of them certified as food safe if they're not trying to sell them in that market.
__________________
Synovia is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,530
Liked 515 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

__________________

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

ChshreCat is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #10
beerloin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hebron, Ct
Posts: 121
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
He may get lucky. Most of the caulks are food safe, despite not being labled as such. GE/etc generally only make up a couple different formulas, and add additives to give them different properties. They don't bother getting most of them certified as food safe if they're not trying to sell them in that market.
I am going to check that when I get home. I have my fingers crossed...

what is the health risk if it isn't?
__________________
beerloin is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food grade caulk? Aleforge Equipment/Sanitation 17 03-31-2013 12:43 AM
Caulk jmendez29 General Chit Chat 2 12-22-2009 05:00 AM
Steam-resistant caulk/sealant broadbill Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-10-2009 06:12 PM
Caulk question? Aleforge Equipment/Sanitation 6 03-11-2009 08:58 PM
Did I get the wrong silicone caulk for my collar? Tankard Kegerators and Keezers 5 09-04-2008 02:23 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS