Temperature probe placement in Keggle MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I'm marking the hole positions in my keggle MLT for drilling. I will be using it for both 5 and 10 gallon batches.

How high can I place the temperature probe and still be low enough to measure the temp in a 5 gallon batch?

This will be for visual temperature checking, if I go to a HERMS setup later, I will probably add another probe.

:confused:

lol. i see what you mean. i cant answer the question since i dont have experience working in a keggle. but you might have to just go trial and error, or just plan to install it at the same height as your drain valve fitting so you never have to worry about it. if its going to have a false bottom, just make sure its above that

Yes, good point. I didn't think about that. Maybe just put 4 gallons in there and put the hole below that. That way when you have 3+ gallons of water and grain in there you should be good to go.

Using the formula in "How To Brew", I get a grain bed depth of about 4.3 to 4.5 inches, depending on how much mash water is used.

:rockin:

So, you are saying that 5 gallons of water takes up the same space as about 10 pounds of malt and 3 to 4 gallons of water?

:confused:

Yes, the total mash volume when using 10 lbs of malt with a water to grain ratio of 1.5 qt/lb (3.75 gallons) would be 5 gallons.

The five gallon depth should be close to 6.5 inches measured from the lowest point in the center of the keg's concave bottom. The ten gallon depth should be close to 12.75 inches at the center.

Yes, the total mash volume when using 10 lbs of malt with a water to grain ratio of 1.5 qt/lb (3.75 gallons) would be 5 gallons.

The five gallon depth should be close to 6.5 inches measured from the lowest point in the center of the keg's concave bottom. The ten gallon depth should be close to 12.75 inches at the center.

Did you use a formula for that, or are the levels from actual measurement?

Measured from the lowest part of the keggle, my faucet hole is centered right at 3 inches.

Did you use a formula for that, or are the levels from actual measurement?

Measured from the lowest part of the keggle, my faucet hole is centered right at 3 inches.

I used ProMash to for the mash volume. It's a function of the strike water calculator.

The depth measurements are based on an inches to gallons conversion factor for a standard Sankey keg. The volume contained in the concave kettle bottom must be considered, but being a constant, it's no big deal to do so.

Back