Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Sterile Welding Ball Valve

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
ctharris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sterile Welding Ball Valve

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find an answer to my specific question. Here goes:

I bought a stainless steel 10.5 gallon brew kettle and want to add a stainless 1/2" ball valve. I've heard mixed reviews of the weldless add-on valves and my neighbor (a plumber and steelworker) has offered to weld one onto my kettle for me instead. However, I've read that you need to be careful to have a sterile weld. Does "sterile" refer to eliminating any places for microbes to hide near the weld site (i.e., a smooth weld) or does "sterile" mean something else?

Thanks in advance for the help!

A Newbie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Maxkling
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Its sanitary welding, where you use a back purge and a few different techniques. Your boil kettle does not need to be welded this way.

If you are modifying a fermenter or anything that touches your beer after it is cooled then it is recommended to use sanitary welding techniques.

Denny Conn - “The best beer possible with the least effort possible while having the most fun possible!”

Me - "Gun Control Means Using Both Hands."

Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When you get your fittings welded on just purge the rear of the weld, or you can do what I do instead of wasting argon to fill the kettle and welding it out of position. I use solar flux B on the back side of the weld after I put a small tack to hold it in place. I welded the first one without. It would be nice to be able to make a copper ring on the backside of the weld, that would make life soo much easier and you wouldn't have the carbide precipitation from no purge.

Quick Reply