Originally Posted by bannerj
My first attempt at soldering this evening was a fail too. Glad to find this thread...that it is worth desoldering and trying again. I'm thinking that I must not have had the piece completely clamped tight enough all around. I had a really nice solder all but 10 degrees. Then I tried heating it up and just closing up that gap...it kept eating solder. I added flux and it kept eating more solder. So frustrating.
That is exactly what happened on mine when I did the original post. It must have heated unevenly and burned off the flux on the bad side because despite focusing more heat on that area it never flowed. I fed a few inches solder in trying to bridge the gap when it was hot but that never seems to work with a flux-free solder.
The only downside to redoing it and completely removing the coupler like I did is the coupler that was originally installed is so nasty between heating, scraping, and sanding that I didn't want to use it. has them for pretty cheap too (under Fittings/Camlock). If I was about to redo mine I'd definitely start fresh again.
Mineral spirits worked well to clean it up for me. It looks beautiful.
Good luck fixing it! Like many DIY projects, being nervous about screwing something up held me back from attempting the fix but visiting some forums usually gets rid of that anxiety better than a few homebrews, for better or worse... Lol