Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Pump flow control with variac.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Huizer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Pump flow control with variac.

Hi all,
My brother just gave me a little Grundfos hot water circ pump. It has a bronze housing and pumps 17 GPM. It was used for hot water recirc. I want to use it if I can for my brewery build, but I think the flow rate is way more than I need. I would like to get it down to 4 GPM.

I have a 120Vac Variac transformer rated for 10A. Could I use this to slow the pump down? or would a ball valve on the output side be better?

Thanks, Dan.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Bjornbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If it's a magnetically coupled impeller then you can put a ball valve on the output side. Otherwise, the variac should work, but you might run into cooling problems if you run it too slow. depends on the motor type.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply