Pot with too big a hole drilled (1.5" diameter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieboot

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently bought a cheap 70 liter pot online here in japan cheaply but the guy had drilled a way too big hole for the ball valve.

The hole is 1.5" in diameter and he tried to patch it up with the pieces shown in the photo.

The two pieces on the left were on the outside of the pot and the three pieces on the right of the photo were on the inside. I threw away the ball valve as it was rusted and in poor condition.

It's difficult to get a good seal with these pieces and the rubber stinks of gasoline so I'm hesitant to use it on the inside of the brew pot.

Are there any simple solutions to adding a 1/2" ball valve?

I haven't been able to locate a silicone gasket big enough to cover the hole and not sure if that's the best solution anyway .

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers guys

Jamie

image-2404891435.jpg

That stuffs all junk, none of it is food safe. Throw it away. You'll have to hunt down and order some silicon sheet, and make yourself a gasket. Be sure it is the right kind of silicon. And you'll have to find some stainless or at least brass washers that will be able to clamp the ball valve against the pot. It may always be a little funky but guaranteed you can make it work. If you were more local I would make you what you need, but to Japan is a little above to call of duty.

Thanks for the reply

Hmm. Pretty sure that's difficult to get here in Japan.

What kind of silicone baking sheet would you recommend? Would need to be pretty thick I reckon...?

Cut it down to about 2+" OD and 3/4" ID? One gasket on inside and outside of the pot?

Can gaskets this size be bought ready made?

No, just silicon sheet stock, not a baking sheet. It should be available to buy in squares, and you can just make one yourself. Your dimensions seem right. You may be able to find something ready made. You guys have McMaster Carr, or do they ship internationally? That would be a good place to start looking for the things of need.

Sadly mcmaster don't ship overseas. The biggest OD silicone gasket I've found is 1.5" ( the size of the hole in my pot!).
Struggling to find anything bigger with the correct ID.

Found this at bargain fittings...

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=42&product_id=105

ID is 27/32" (0.84") do you think this would work or is the ID too big for a 1/2" ball valve?

Does the washer need to be about the same size as the silicone gasket?

sorry for all the silly questions....

My thoughts are go electric, could be the perfect size for a 1 1/4" BSP element (needs a >1.65" hole - I think Japan is the same as NZ, but don't quote me on that!)
Are your really set on lpg/propane burner (I am assuming you are thinking of going that route by the way :D)

Was hoping to stick with the gas route as still have my MLT.... Hadn't really considered going electric.

Any other suggestions?

We used to get a lot of our automation components from Misumi USA, which is a Japanese company. Their catalog is the size of a phone book and I am sure you can find what you are looking for in there.

Another option would be to have a welder weld up a plug and a nipple in there. You could just thread your ball valve on at that point. Just an idea.....

Why not use 1 1/2" pipe fittings?

Get a 1 1/2" to 1/2" bushing and a nut - Then all you'd need is an O-ring, which should be pretty easy to source.

This bushing
I can't find a nut, but here's a 1/2 coupling that would work.

Obviously you'd have to find out how to source them.

All you should need then is a 1 1/2" o-ring to seal it up like a Blichmann weldless valve.

...Obviously you'd have to find out how to source them...

Being in Japan should not make this any more effort than anywhere else in the world. Except that the OP will have to look for where to buy the fittings from, since most people on here do not know any Japanese suppliers :D. Look up any local engineering supplies and if that doesn't work find a local engineering/fabrication shop and ask them to buy them for you or where they get their supplies from :)

Back