Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Mini MLT ideas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
bensyverson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini MLT ideas?

Hey all,

I'm planning to get into AG by doing 1-2 gallon batches, since I'm an apartment dweller... Does anyone have ideas for a mini MLT? I've looked at mini coolers, and none of the ones I saw had spigots...

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Get a 5 gallons cooler. You may want to scale up eventually and why build a whole new MLT. It's not that much of a storage difference.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't let space keep you from doing full five gallon batches (unless you do not have storage), There are some condo/apartment dwellers who have mastered full AG brewing in small spaces.

If you are still looking at staying small scale, you could go full AG or even try partial mashing, where you use a combination of extract and grains. As far as coolers, there are 3 gallon round models available. Check places like target, walmart, and sporting good stores.

In your situation, I would even consider getting one of the five gallon rubbermaid drink coolers from Home Depot, this will give you some flexibility in making stronger beers if you want.

If you are having difficulty finding coolers with spigots in your area, it's not too difficult to drill a hole in the side of a cooler and add a ball valve. This thread might be of use to you.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
bensyverson
Recipes 

Hey guys, thanks for the advice... My problem is not storing the 5 gal cooler, but doing a full boil in my kitchen. Maybe I could try the two step method...

I did look at a 3 gal round cooler, but the one I saw had "NO HOT BEVERAGES" stamped on the inside of the lid, which gave me visions of plastic chemicals leeching into the mash. Should I be concerned?

Old 02-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You could split the batches between two pots, or depending on the size of your stove, use a larger pot, and overlapping it on two burners.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Here's my small MLT made from a 3 gallon Igloo cooler. Works great, but now I'm using the same braid in a 12 gallon Rubbermaid. Still keeping the 3 gallon around for partial mash. Cheap and versatile set-up.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=51056

Billy-Klubb

Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I live in a loft with no greenspace or yard where I can do AG in 5 gallon batches..so I'm in the same boat as you...I've been playing with some things that you might be interested in.

You can do it for small batches even in a 2 gallon unmodified cooler...

Read this article http://byo.com/feature/1536.html Also get one of these for the bottom of the cooler But unscrew or break off the center post.

(it's a refinement that he talked about on a podcast, it lifts the grainbag above the spigot and prevents stuck sparges.)

Then put a large grain bag in it and rubberband it to the outside edge of cooler. When you are mashing you wont be able to seal the lid tightly, but do it as tight as you can and cover the whole thing with a blanket to hold the temp.

That's how I am doing a PM as I write for a 5 gallon batch of brown ale...I just doughed in and am mashing...

But instead of it being a Partial Mash, you're doing a full volume boil...so use one of the brewing software programs that allows you to calculate recipes based on volume...

I'm working on a project that involves AG brewing in a MR Beer fermentor.... I'm trying to rescue mr beer users from the humiliation they get subjected too.... My goal is to have someone win a GABF award using a MR Beer.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
bensyverson
Recipes 

Awesome -- great tips! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
I'm working on a project that involves AG brewing in a MR Beer fermentor.... I'm trying to rescue mr beer users from the humiliation they get subjected too.... My goal is to have someone win a GABF award using a MR Beer.....
LOL... They'll put the award really big on the box and use it to sell another million units.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
Jah

Recipes 

Default here is the one i made

temp only dropped 3 degrees over an hour.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Jah, what kind of keg is that? Or is it a cooler? How many gallons is it? It's cool...all black and shiny and everything.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply