mcmaster through-wall/bulkhead tank fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paledragon

Reaction score
while contemplating version 2 of my herms system, i came across mcmaster's through-wall/bulkhead pages for the first time. i'm not sure i've ever seen these parts referenced on HBT before (apologies if they have). anyway, for anyone looking for plastic, stainless, threaded, unthreaded, weldless, or welded fittings, this looks to be the jackpot.

p.d.

QDs.jpg

These are the fittings I have on my system. I can't believe how well they work. Those are McMaster Carr part numbers.

I have looked at them and I am sure they will work well but man they are expensive. I can make a through-wall fitting for under $10 using a simple 1/2" coupler, 1/2" nipple, (2) washers and (2) O-rings. With that being said I will probably give one a try on Rev. 2 of my brewery.

Bulkhead fittings were ALL very expensive when I looked for them. One of the guys at work gave me a unit so at the time I was all set. However, considering the cost, I would rather lathe and machine my own fittings if I ever had need to a real bulkhead fitting again. Or pay someone to weld it if possible.

Swagelok part No. SS-810-11-8 is a SS through-wall bulkhead with a 1/2" compression fitting on one side and 1/2"NPT threads on the other. If you search eBay, you can find them cheap pretty regularly.

SS-810-11-8.jpg

It's very similar, but two big differences: the bulkhead is a straight thread on the outside, not a tapered thread like a bushing. The bulkhead also has a machined face on the nut part for the sealing washer to bear on.

-Joe

It's the latter feature that really matters most. Locknuts are usually over tapped so that it can spin all the way down on a typical tapered thread so that's no problem. It's just that the flat/hex diameter is usually no larger than the threads so there is no sealing surface. You can make one if you have the cajones to silver solder a flat washer against the hex.

This thread couldn't come at a better time!

Pardon me if this is a stupid question:

The description for the Swagelok fitting lists the connections as male NPT and tube fitting. I've got a handle on NPT but what is the tube fitting?

thanks

what initially caught my eye was the low profile and unthreaded CPVC through-wall fittings. for version 2, i'm contemplating:

- moving to a 2-3kW low density element rims system
- ditching the coolers, and moving to stainless HLT and MLT
- installing bottom drains on the HLT and MLT for complete draining
- adding some hard piping (probably CPVC)

my system works great for the actual brewing, but setup and cleaning leaves a lot to be desired. i want to line the MLT with something along the lines of the brew-in-a-bag system (while still keeping a manifold/false bottom) so when i'm done, i can just lift the spent grains out. having a bottom drain means i can just hose the interior without ever having to remove the MLT for cleaning.

p.d.

I am getting ready to install a solderless bulkhead fitting in my brew kettle. How high above the bottom of the kettle should I make my hole for the fitting?

I have looked at them and I am sure they will work well but man they are expensive. I can make a through-wall fitting for under $10 using a simple 1/2" coupler, 1/2" nipple, (2) washers and (2) O-rings. With that being said I will probably give one a try on Rev. 2 of my brewery.

Could you please explain more detaily your assembly?
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back