Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > mash tun with reflectix wrap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Komocabo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default mash tun with reflectix wrap

Hi all! I guess I'm just proud of my new shiny toy and wanted to share it with my fellow HBTers. It's a standard keg with false bottom, dip tube, valve, and thermometer (all weldless from Bargain Fittings, except for the false bottom). I have had some temp control issues lately, sometimes dropping up to 5° during an hour mash...yikes!

So, I did some looking around on the site and decided to go with the reflectix wrap. 20 feet later, and I've got it wrapped on all surfaces with 3 layers (5 on the top). I used duct tape to hold it all together. I'm going brew this weekend, and I can't wait to see what (if any) difference it makes.

I have to imagine that it will reduce my temp fluctuations. I'm going to call it my keg-ooler...

Cheers!

forumrunner_20130418_202119.jpg  

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
Komocabo
Recipes 

One more pic for now.

forumrunner_20130418_202236.jpg  

Old 04-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #3
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Hope it is not direct fire. That stuff melts pretty easy with a flame. Would hate to see that nice work ruined

Old 04-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
rajun50
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Looks good! My question to you or others who have done this: How will the Reflectix react to being direct-fired? I still use a cooler, but am considering getting a larger boil pot and using my 15 gallon SS kettle as a mash tun. I'd like to be able to direct-fire it, but it seems like the Reflectix would get burned by all the heat coming from my Blichmann burner. The first time I used the Blichmann it was so hot that the rubber coating on my ball valve handle started to melt, and I had to use some aluminum foil as a heat shield.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajun50 View Post
Looks good! My question to you or others who have done this: How will the Reflectix react to being direct-fired? I still use a cooler, but am considering getting a larger boil pot and using my 15 gallon SS kettle as a mash tun. I'd like to be able to direct-fire it, but it seems like the Reflectix would get burned by all the heat coming from my Blichmann burner. The first time I used the Blichmann it was so hot that the rubber coating on my ball valve handle started to melt, and I had to use some aluminum foil as a heat shield.
It melts, like ekjohns said. Although if you are direct firing, you can always take it off while the flame is up. Some velcro makes removal and attachment pretty easy.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Do not direct fire with that on. I can see you were trying to make it as neat as possible by making holes for the accessories but you'll have to put some slots under the holes to easily remove it.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
Komocabo
Recipes 

I've also heard this. Right now I do not direct fire - I do a single stage mash for an hour. I have a single tier stand (3 kegs) and I just move the MT off to the side when I'm heating my strike and sparge water. I plan to move to a HERMS system sometime (the investment is out of the question for now), so basically, I will never have flame on it. Right now I don't have pumps, but I built the stand so I can still sparge by using gravity. It'll have to do for a while, but I've done 20 or so batches with this system. At some point I will incorporate a heat shield so I can avoid messing with it. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Komocabo
Recipes 

Good suggestions (slots and velcro)! I will likely do that in the near future

Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Reflectix is plastic bubble wrap with some silvering. It melts like any other bubble wrap. On my kettle I ended the wrap 2" above the bottom and that was for on top of an electric range.

Very neat job, much better than mine. The tape looks to be the fabric type. Some people use aluminum duct tape. I'm not criticizing, it is just an option if the heat causes problems with the fabric tape and adhesive.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 04-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
Komocabo
Recipes 

I was wondering about that myself... Would it be beneficial to take of the duct tape (fabric stuff) and replace with the aluminum stuff? As I was building it tonight, I had that damn lightbulb go off in my head, thinking, "Wait... shouldn't this be metal to reflect more heat?" But I tried to use as little as possible, so I hope it'll be alright.

Quick Reply