Mash tun mixer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callidium_Violaceum

Reaction score
Here is some pics of the mash tun mixer i built. The two first pics show the first step of build with manual hand crank and wooden stirrer and the lid without the cutout. Next two pics show the motorization of the mixer. The buid is not yet complete because I have to figure out some kind of protection for the motor against mash splashes. :) I'm also about to build PWM speed controller for the motor according to these schematis: DPRG: A Simple PWM Circuit Based on the 555 Timer Can anyone tell if these schematics are any good?

SPA51498.jpg

SPA51499.jpg

SPA51500.jpg

SPA51501.jpg

If anyone has any ideas how to cover the motor and the planetary gear, please tell me. :) I've a thought that a plastic bottle or something could do the trick... The gear part has a diameter of 51 mm at it's widest point.

I was just searching youtube for videos of the big time breweries to see how their mash tanks were set up and they too had mixers that looked quite similar to your design except they were made out of stainless steel and looked like there were around 6 paddles/blades/fins on the stirrer. I also want to incorporate this into my build. I'm glad you already threw this together! cheers to you! For your casing.. im sure if you search ebay for an electric box you will find one that will fit around your base with the gears.

I also noticed that the stirrers on theirs move very slow. Im guesstimating around one revolution in 45 seconds. So if you can figure out what kind of motor i need to replicate that I would appeciate it. :)

Callidium_Violaceum said:
Here is some pics of the mash tun mixer i built. The two first pics show the first step of build with manual hand crank and wooden stirrer and the lid without the cutout. Next two pics show the motorization of the mixer. The buid is not yet complete because I have to figure out some kind of protection for the motor against mash splashes. :) I'm also about to build PWM speed controller for the motor according to these schematis: DPRG: A Simple PWM Circuit Based on the 555 Timer Can anyone tell if these schematics are any good?

Hey what kind of sparging are you going to do with this ? Or is this basically gonna be used for batch sparging?

Latest posts

Back