Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Mash Tun Advice (pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
brewn00b4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Mash Tun Advice (pics)

I'm working on a mash tun because I want to get into all grain brewing. I've sourced my parts and created a first draft. I am using 1/2" CPVC. Here's what the manifold looks like:

Here's the sparge rig I've made. I thought having the water drip perpendicular to the manifold tubes might help:

One problem I've found is the manifold sits 1/2" above the bottom of the cooler. I couldn't get the ball valve further down into the cooler due to the curve the sides have.

Obviously having the manifold off the bottom means I'm going to miss some of the liquid. Is this going to cause issues with my efficiency? Do I need to find a way to get the manifold to sit on the bottom?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
brewn00b4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Actually I just found out I can put the manifold all the way on the bottom and "T" out of the middle to the valve instead. Thanks!

Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
socalboomer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

your manifold looks good, but I think your sparge rig is way overkill. You prolly won't get water running through 25% of it. You want to sparge slowly, if you're fly sparging and if you're batch, you don't care.

I run a straight copper tube with small holes in it. The water doesn't come out the last few holes in that and I can't see the water coming out very far in that.

On Tap (Nitro): Chocolate Palomino - just kicked! ACK
On Tap 1: empty. . .On Tap 2: empty. . .On Tap 3: Flawed Garnet (black currant saison)
In Secondary:
In Primary:
Next up: Gold Dust Pale Ale

Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
brewn00b4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I simplified my sparge rig a bit, thanks.

I plan on cutting slits in the pipes crossing the middle of the cooler. Should I also slice up the pipes running perpendicular (towards the manifold outlet)?

Quick Reply