Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Mash Lauter Tun from Coleman Xtreme 70 Quart Cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default Mash Lauter Tun from Coleman Xtreme 70 Quart Cooler

After moving house I am rebuilding my brewing apparatus from scratch. I started with the MLT. Nothing too out of the ordinary here, but somebody planning a similar conversion might be interested in my design choices.

I used a 70qt Coleman Xtreme cooler, which is very good value for the size. I found that a 1/2" close nipple was just the right length for the bulkhead. I had bought a 2" nipple but it was much too long. I reused the plastic washer from the cooler drain to seal the inside of the bulkhead, and strengthened the cooler wall with a section of PVC pipe as recommended by Bobby M. The bulkhead was rock solid and sealed watertight. My thanks go out to the folks at Home Brew Talk who pioneered this design.

I chose to make a 4-tube copper manifold with 1/2" slot spacing. The shape of the manifold is conventional, but I improvised a sliding tee arrangement to connect to the drain.

There's a few more picture on my blog page, as well as assembly instructions and a parts list.

stewart194 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
JIW126
Recipes 

Thanks for posting this. I just bought the same cooler, since my 10 gallon round Rubbermaid just wasn't cutting it anymore now that I've moved up to 10 gallon batches. It's always nice to have a walk through and a parts list laid out so I can get this build done with one trip to HD.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
stewart194
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

This is great! I just decided yesterday that this was the cooler I would start with. I hadn't even thought about the hardware yet but this is perfect.

Question...I was planning on just using a single steel braided line for the manifold. What is the advantage of doing a copper manifold like the one you built? I'm planning on batch sparging if that makes a difference.

THANKS!!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
alien
Recipes 

Thanks Stewart! A stainless braid should be fine for batch sparging. Eventually I'd like to use this MLT in a HERMS and I have heard that a manifold is slightly preferable for that.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
stewart194
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Alien -
I've looked at your web page and parts list, but I still can't figure out where the "T" fitting you show in this post comes into play.
???

Old 02-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
HDIr0n
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I am sure it is just to show the slots in the manifold, but it will drain better if the slots face the bottom of the cooler. Other than that it looks great!

-G

My Brutus 20 build

My Brutus/1550 Failed build

“Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."

– David Wallace

Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
eric19312
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart194
Alien -
I've looked at your web page and parts list, but I still can't figure out where the "T" fitting you show in this post comes into play.
???
Also curious about this. Why the stainless T and not just straight to a ball valve?

Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
alien
Recipes 

I was thinking about putting a thermowell in the end of the tee, and having the valve hang off the middle arm. I decided against it. I need a new photo really, don't I?

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
GrogNerd
bad beer makes puppies sad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 646 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I also got the 70-qt

came up with this design for CPVC manifold, but thinking of redoing it to match yours. mine's way too convoluted and a pain in the a** to reassemble. yours looks much easier and covers more area. KISS

img_8297.jpg

also got this cooler bulkhead fitting + ball valve + hose barb from bargain fittings. did not need to drill or use anything to strengthen the bulkhead wall. used some plumbing putty epoxy around the opening and that's it.

coolerbh-500x500.jpg

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

alien Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
JIW126
Recipes 

Is there some trick I'm missing. I'm having a hell of a time getting the 2 T's filed out enough so they will slide over the tube. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply