Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Lining a 10G cooler with stainless?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Lining a 10G cooler with stainless?

I'm getting less and less tolerant of the plastic in my brew rig, and the last part is the mash tun. On all of my 10G coolers, the inside has slightly deformed and I swear I can taste the plastic. On top of that, the possibility of plasticizers and other nasties leaking into my beer doesn't really please me.

So, in the pursuit of all that is anal retentive and un-necessary, has anyone else lined of of their mash tun coolers with stainless? I'd love to find a brewpot that just 'fit' the inside of it, but if that's not available I'm thinking of having a local welder tig weld a 'sleeve' of stainless for me.

Any thoughts?

-kincade

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
Brek81
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

wouldnt it be easier to build an insulated sleve for a pot than to find a pot to fit a cooler?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1380 Times on 1115 Posts

First thought is you might as well just bite the proverbial bullet and find a bargain SS pot to use as a MLT and wrap it with foil-backed insulation if you don't want to go direct-fired. Unless your welder works for free, between the materials cost and the labor - not to mention coming up with a well-aligned and leak-proof connection between the SS liner and the cooler outlet - it seems unlikely to be cost effective and successful...

Cheers!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brek81 View Post
wouldnt it be easier to build an insulated sleve for a pot than to find a pot to fit a cooler?
Perhaps... And I've thought about that. A cheapie 10G pot could probably be had for $80 or so, but then the false bottom, fittings, etc, would all add up quick. OTOH, I've already got everything mentioned with the cooler...

-kincade

Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #5
agezzi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If u went with a ss tee and two ss braided hoses on the inside of ur kettle. It won't cost that much.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post
Perhaps... And I've thought about that. A cheapie 10G pot could probably be had for $80 or so, but then the false bottom, fittings, etc, would all add up quick. OTOH, I've already got everything mentioned with the cooler...
A cheap 15.5g keg can be found for less... Total in my BK, before welded fittings was about $50 (weldless fittings included)...

However, if you are willing to give it the old college try, I applaud you...

Let us know how you fare....

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincade View Post
I'm getting less and less tolerant of the plastic in my brew rig, and the last part is the mash tun. On all of my 10G coolers, the inside has slightly deformed and I swear I can taste the plastic. On top of that, the possibility of plasticizers and other nasties leaking into my beer doesn't really please me.

So, in the pursuit of all that is anal retentive and un-necessary, has anyone else lined of of their mash tun coolers with stainless? I'd love to find a brewpot that just 'fit' the inside of it, but if that's not available I'm thinking of having a local welder tig weld a 'sleeve' of stainless for me.

Any thoughts?
I've thought about it, even started a thread about it, but finding a pot of the right dimensions was not possible.

So, I'm making do with my cooler MLT until I get around to massively insulating a keggle. That will have the added advantage of allowing room for AG 13 gallon batches.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Sometimes it's good to get discouraging advice, even if it's not what you wanted to hear.

I just HATE to have to rebuy a false bottom, all the fittings and barbs, etc for a new mashtun. I guess I'll start looking for a right sized brewpot and start looking here for insulation techniques.

Thanks again!

-kincade

Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm not sure why you'd have to rebuy everything. You'd move it all to a stainless vessel.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #10
kincade
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm not sure why you'd have to rebuy everything. You'd move it all to a stainless vessel.
The ball valve and barb, yes; but the bulkhead fittings and false bottom are both specifically fit for the diameter and thickness of the cooler.

Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I guess the false bottom doesn't need to cover the entire bottom of the mashtun...

-kincade

Quick Reply