Lauter Tun Help (Bazooka Screen )

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
I converted 48q cooler and used a Bazooka Screen. Just want some opinions on the Bazooka Screen ??

My concern with it is, during my 1st ever all-grain brew. I noticed a fair amount of grain that made its way into my BK ?

Is this normal ?

redrider736 said:
My concern with it is, during my 1st ever all-grain brew. I noticed a fair amount of grain that made its way into my BK ?

Is this normal ?

Pretty normal, hence voerlauf.

Did you vorlauf? If not you'll want to.

Vorlauf
Vorlauf is the process of clarifying the wort being drawn out of the mash tun. Often this is as simple as drawing 1-2L of wort at a time slowly into a container and then pouring softly back onto the top of the mash; taking care to disturb the grain bed as little as possible.
The primary objective is to establish the grain bed as a filter for the wort being drawn off. The grain husks will then act as a sand-style filter to further enhance clarity.
When the wort runs mostly clear (meaning no large pieces of grain material) the vorlauf process is complete and sparging may begin.

i just recently switched to using a bazooka screen in my mash tun (used the SS braid method before) and i have to say i love it. I recently did a batch of witbier and after vorlaufing came out as clear as my previous set up.

I had a few concerns with the Grind of my Malt Bill. I bought a "kit" and it was already ground (I asked for it not to be :( . Can I use Flaked Maize or Rice Hulls to aid in filtering in my LT?

and it's really not the amount of times you vorlauf, it's how clear the runoff is when you decide to start collecting your runnings.:)

and it's really not the amount of times you vorlauf, it's how clear the runoff is when you decide to start collecting your runnings.:)

It honestly looked pretty good ?? What about the Flow rate when you are Vorlaufing and when you are draining out ?? Do you open your valve full or slow and easy ??

I had a few concerns with the Grind of my Malt Bill. I bought a "kit" and it was already ground (I asked for it not to be :( . Can I use Flaked Maize or Rice Hulls to aid in filtering in my LT?

of course, i know a lot of people use em...it'll still affect your OG though (because it was ground thin not because of the husks)

It honestly looked pretty good ?? What about the Flow rate when you are Vorlaufing and when you are draining out ?? Do you open your valve full or slow and easy ??

Honestly, since i've started batch sparging i just open the valve about 3/4 of the way and let it go.

In theory, the slower you let it drain the less likely it'll clog/let husks through. When i used to fly sparge i'd open maybe 1/4 of the way and usually only had to vorlauf maybe 2 or 3 quarts (just took twice as long)

of course, i know a lot of people use em...it'll still affect your OG though (because it was ground thin not because of the husks)

Just a note; I am using a "Bazooka Screen" in my Cooler. I am thinking it may have been the grind. Going to try Conditioning the Malt AND do the grind myself.

Just a note; I am using a "Bazooka Screen" in my Cooler. I am thinking it may have been the grind. Going to try Conditioning the Malt AND do the grind myself.

I know, I'm using a bazooka too. Like i said, i vorlauf about 5 quarts

I also mill my own grain using my carona mill

I batch sparge using a SS braid and typically I only need to vorlauf 2 qts for the first running's and the sparge. Just make sure you start really slow to set the grain bed. Once the vorlauf is complete open it up for full flow.

One thing I've started doing is to vorlauf through a mesh screen. It just helps me see when the wort is running clear.

I batch sparge using a SS braid and typically I only need to vorlauf 2 qts for the first running's and the sparge. Just make sure you start really slow to set the grain bed. Once the vorlauf is complete open it up for full flow.

One thing I've started doing is to vorlauf through a mesh screen. It just helps me see when the wort is running clear.

This, ive rarely ever had to do more than 2 quarts, even then most of the 2nd quart is clear but i just let it keep going anyways....

Not sure why people are needing 5 or more quarts to get the grain set?
I can only think that it has to do with your screen and tun dimensions...i have a 10G igloo, so the wet weight of the grain really presses down hard on the screen which i can only assume aids in setting the grain easier. I suppose i could see if you had a rectangular cooler that was oversized for the grain you had in it, that it could take some extra work to get the grain set since you dont have the weight of the grain working for you as much

I put a short section of soft copper pipe inside of my bazooka screen. I cut some slots in the pipe to aid in draining as well, but I found that it did two things for me. It made the screen a bit tougher, without worrying about denting the screen up in a drunken mashing stirring frenzy, and it also helped in draining it really clear in right around 2 quarts or so.

Little off topic probably, but I batch sparge in a cooler with a stainless braid and now that I use a pump to recirculate/vorlouf the last 5 or so minutes of the mash I get crystal clear wort out. Just something to think about for future upgrades.

I start my Vorlauf with 2qts in a regular cooking kettle, than attach the tubing and run my pump for ~10 min on really slow until I get crystall clear but golden worty wort.
Why limit vorlauf on a few quarts when you can recirculate the whole mash-batch?

I start my Vorlauf with 2qts in a regular cooking kettle, than attach the tubing and run my pump for ~10 min on really slow until I get crystall clear but golden worty wort.
Why limit vorlauf on a few quarts when you can recirculate the whole mash-batch?

Why vorlauf for 10 minutes when your grain bed is set in 2 quarts though? Thats the better question, once its set you shouldnt be getting any material through, regardless of if you pump for 10 minutes or not.

I used a SS braid at first. Then I made a copper manifold and cut slits in the bottom (facing downward) resting on the bottom of the cooler. I get much better efficiency with the copper manifold and you can be rough with it while stirring your mash. Plus, you get suction from all parts of the manifold. With a SS braid or bazooka screen, you are essentially only filtering the grain at the point of drainage. I feel the manifold provides a more even drainage of the mash. I use the bazooka screen in my boil kettle to filter out hops particles.

Not sure why people are needing 5 or more quarts to get the grain set?
I can only think that it has to do with your screen and tun dimensions...i have a 10G igloo, so the wet weight of the grain really presses down hard on the screen which i can only assume aids in setting the grain easier. I suppose i could see if you had a rectangular cooler that was oversized for the grain you had in it, that it could take some extra work to get the grain set since you dont have the weight of the grain working for you as much

Bazooka screens aren't nearly as thin as the SS screens. They let a lot more tannins through, so you have to make up for that with a couple extra vorlaufs

Latest posts

Back