BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > kettle for an mlt?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
payton34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default kettle for an mlt?

ineed some advice.i was thinking about making a kettle mash tun with a manifold and pumping the wort into my brewkettle. then use the burner under my bk and pump back into mlt so i dont have to have a burner under the mlt. i am worried about scorching the grain if the fire got too high. i was wondering if anyone has had any problems with this kind of setup

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
OneHoppyGuy
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 52

A certain volume of liquid is required to prevent scorching. Dumping wort directly into a kettle would be a high risk operation. Brewers use either a RIMS or HERMS setup for this reason.

If you chose to place a burner under the MT, you will want to use a false bottom to provide the volume needed.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
BrewingViking
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been using direct heat for awhile now and haven't gotten any scorching. Just stir a lot. I use a large metal spoon to pick up the grain from the bottom. Also don't put the flame on full blast. Just a nice small flame does the job. I'd be worried with what you want to do would denature to many enzymes.

Quick Reply