Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > keggle rust problem

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
MrStrangeBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default keggle rust problem

i got two kegs sent them out to get cut with plasma cutter and when i got them back the inside is covered with rust it looks like. and its kind hard to take off. is it becuase of plasma cutter? or is it just surface rust that will easily come off? does this usually hppen with keggles? What is best way to clean and prevent?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts

stainless steel wont rust, but when you melt it with a plasma torch it turns into small liquid metal beads which oxidize in open air and change their chemical properties and then do rust.

you just have to scrub, sand or chiesel all the slag off before you use them. this is why people prefer using a grinder- no metal slag left behind.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
RonRock
Always Ready
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Long hot soak with Oxyclean. Maybe scrub with a Scotchbrite pad.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
buffalobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

you need to re-passivate the stainless after disturbing the oxide coating. http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/ho...ss-steel-parts

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
mmurray
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had the same issue and learn from my mistakes... do not use anything to clean the inside that is metal!!! I used a wire brush to remove the slag! BAD IDEA!

In retrospect it embedded small particles of the brush in the SS as it cleaned and left more metal to oxidize and rust... Use coarse scotch brite pads on a air angle grinder. If that doesn't do it use sand paper but only if you have too (you shouldn't). Once all the slag is cleaned then progress to finer scotch brite pads and you'll have a pretty nice finish.

Finally, get some barkeepers friend and mix it up into a thick paste. I then scrubbed it in using a fine scotch brite. I let is sit over night to give the Oxalic Acid time to re-passivate the SS. Then rinse well and wipe with a wash cloth until it's all gone. Then rinse one more time for good measure!

I haven't had any rusting in my keggles since I did this! It is time consuming and a PITA but it's better than wasting good keggles!

“God bless Homebrewing Beer. There are many things a man can do with his time. And this, is better than those things.”

Gulf Coast Brewers League

Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
MrStrangeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dammit!! i thought plasma cutter was the way to go oh well ive and learn i guess thanks for all the help. Where do i get BKF?? and do some scotch brites have cleaning agents in them? if so should i stay away from them and use plain ones?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Monster Mash
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You need to put enough water in the keg to cover the bottom before cutting with a plasma cutter, this keeps the slag from sticking to the bottom...

Old 04-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStrangeBrew View Post
Where do i get BKF?? and do some scotch brites have cleaning agents in them? if so should i stay away from them and use plain ones?
should be right near the bon ami and comet in your grocery store. As for the scrubies I strictly stick to plain green one

Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
MrStrangeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Mash View Post
You need to put enough water in the keg to cover the bottom before cutting with a plasma cutter, this keeps the slag from sticking to the bottom...
its not so much on the bottom as it is on the sides. feels like little pebbles all over. when i wipe with finger and a little elbow grease it comes off.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
MrStrangeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
should be right near the bon ami and comet in your grocery store. As for the scrubies I strictly stick to plain green one
plain green ok good. and ill check grocery store today i could barely sleep i was so worried cant wait to get it all cleaned up.

Quick Reply