Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Keggle parts and fittings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #1
capntang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keggle parts and fittings?

I managed to find someone to do the plasma cutting and TIG welding required to turn my three 1/2 barrel kegs into useful brew vessels ... best part is, they're going to do it all in exchange for a 5 gallon batch of brew!

I'm not at the point where I need to be thinking of going all grain, so I'm only going to be using one of the kegs as a boil kettle for the time being. That said, I'd like to go ahead and get all the welding done while the offer is still fresh.

Since I don't really need ball valves and whatnot just yet, I'm assuming all I need to complete the welding is a bunch of 1/2" stainless couplers such as these? If so, where is the best place to buy these?

I'm thinking of doing three bulkheads per keggle, as suggested by Bobby_M. Is this overkill and not necessary, or is it worth it to go ahead and go that route while I have access to some free welding? Can I just get plugs of some sort in order to use the boil kettle without all the necessary fittings?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Why not just buy the ones in the link you posted. Looks like a decent price.

If you can get 3/keg for no more than 1/keg, I'd do all three. You can decide later for yourself it it's overkill or not.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Or you can sell them if you decide to never go all grain. I somehow suspect it won't be a problem.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply