Keggle and othe keg related projects.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Ok guys, I'm kind of a DIY noob so don't be too harsh on me :eek: I recently acquired a number of old 1/2 barrels.... 7 of them actually. They aren't sanke and in fact I'm not sure what they are. They seem to have date codes of 49-52 on them. They are definitely stainless. They only have one connection on the top, though most seem to have bung holes that have been welded over with something (what ever they used has rusted it seems so I doubt it was stainless). Many of them also have random ass holes drilled into them, almost like they were being demilled and put out of commission!

The drilled holes seem to be one on the top of the keg, 6 inches or so out from the middle of the tap, one at the very bottom of the keg, and one over the area of the bung.

I'd like to make some fermentors, keggle and whatever other random vessels I need for all grain. The question is whether or not it's worth the time. How hard is it to seal up stainless? I'm sure i can work around some of them (like putting a thermometer in a hole or a port) but the bung holes concern me. What could they have used if it's rusting like that? I'll try to take some pictures today or tomorrow of them. Thanks for your advice, even if it is to scrap'em or use them as flower barrels!

they could be saved pretty ez i would start by cuting the tops on the keggle mash tun and htl and then cut out the rust mess and use the tops to patch the hole and just tig the small holes up

Back