Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Keggle insulation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yes. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/dire...roject-154652/

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #22
gwjames47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
If you're seeking a higher R factor and higher temperature stability (220+), you may consider purchasing closed cell foam insulation. I believe Reflectix is only rated to 170F.

Good job on finding this product, I have ordered the 1/4 thickness and will wrap my pot with two layers. I have been thinking that I might put a layer of heavy duty foil between the two layers of foam. Does anybody have an opinion on this strategy?

GW

Old 02-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
wh4tig0t
Recipes 

I have 3 layers of reflectix on my BK/HLT. Works great except when i go to use my IC. Takes forever to chill. That foam rubber stuff might be the trick,if i was careful i could probably cut it to be removable, so once the boils done i could chill faster.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
gwjames47
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwjames47 View Post
Good job on finding this product, I have ordered the 1/4 thickness and will wrap my pot with two layers. I have been thinking that I might put a layer of heavy duty foil between the two layers of foam. Does anybody have an opinion on this strategy?

GW
I purchased this product from McMaster Carr and have used it on the last two brews. It seems to insulate very well, however it is quite fragile and tears easily when removing the insulation from the pot to chill the wort in an ice bath. Any little dribbles of wort down the outside of the pot fuses the insulation to the pot making it virtually impossible to remove the insulation with out ripping or tearing out chunks from where the insulation contacts the pot. If you are using a wort chiller then you can just leave the insulation on the pot and avoid this.

GW

Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
Twang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I read on another post at HBT about the Keg Koozy as mash tun insulation. I got one for my eHerms mash tun setup and have had no complaints. Helps maintain the temperature and is easy to clean with a hose if you spill wort on it. I used a razor to cut holes for the sight glass, ball valve, and thermometer.
http://thekegkoozy.com/mash-tun-insulation

Old 08-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #26
tasq
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twang View Post
I read on another post at HBT about the Keg Koozy as mash tun insulation. I got one for my eHerms mash tun setup and have had no complaints. Helps maintain the temperature and is easy to clean with a hose if you spill wort on it. I used a razor to cut holes for the sight glass, ball valve, and thermometer.
http://thekegkoozy.com/mash-tun-insulation
I'd bet good money it won't hold up on a direct fired one. Cool idea though.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM   #27
RustyMusket
Recipes 

I read a thread on here some where about guys using Carbon fiber welders blanket as insulation for there MT's. You could most deffinately use it on your HLT and your BK. Although it is kinda expensive. Please forgive me for asking but why would you want to insulate your boil kettle? N/M on that last question..

Old 08-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #28
RustyMusket
Recipes 

here ya go i found the link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/insu...75/index2.html

Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #29
oshucks
Recipes 

Anybody have any experience with pre-formed fiberglass pipe insulation? This outfit has some pre-sized for 16"dia pipe, 1" thick, rated to 1000degF, with a foil outer insulation. http://www.amerisafe.net/en/Fibergla...000_Group.aspx

I'm thinking of cutting it to the right length (top of the keggle), spooge the top of it with RTV like Bobby's approach, and it should take only minutes.

Trouble is, it comes in boxes of two for about $75+shipping. Anybody in the San Diego area interested in splitting?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #30
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshucks View Post
Anybody have any experience with pre-formed fiberglass pipe insulation? This outfit has some pre-sized for 16"dia pipe, 1" thick, rated to 1000degF, with a foil outer insulation. http://www.amerisafe.net/en/Fibergla...000_Group.aspx

I'm thinking of cutting it to the right length (top of the keggle), spooge the top of it with RTV like Bobby's approach, and it should take only minutes.

Trouble is, it comes in boxes of two for about $75+shipping. Anybody in the San Diego area interested in splitting?
That seems like it would hold temps like crazy!
I was thinking of going the really cheap route with something like http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/all-rolls.html

Quick Reply