Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > How much should I pay for these?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
doctorsbro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if all he did was weld it up then i would say 6 hours minimum at $75 and hour, so about $450 for mig welding, if tigged multiply that number x3($1350) Some shops charge in the neighborhood of $100 an hour for welding to pay for the welding materials and labor. Alot of shops dont want to mess with stuff like that and overcharge the work to make it worth theyre time, most shops are setup for production for repeat customers. I orked at a local job shop and theres no way we would bid that at 3-4 hours, theres to much risk involved with stainless, the material is expensive and if the welder messed something up they would have replace the material, carbon steel is a different story, much cheaper to have welded since the material is cheap and much easier to weld. If i were welding it up out of my garage i would charge about $150-$200 depending on how well the pieces fit together, if it were mild steel it would be about $100-$150

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
timbudtwo
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsbro View Post
if all he did was weld it up then i would say 6 hours minimum at $75 and hour, so about $450 for mig welding, if tigged multiply that number x3($1350) Some shops charge in the neighborhood of $100 an hour for welding to pay for the welding materials and labor. Alot of shops dont want to mess with stuff like that and overcharge the work to make it worth theyre time, most shops are setup for production for repeat customers. I orked at a local job shop and theres no way we would bid that at 3-4 hours, theres to much risk involved with stainless, the material is expensive and if the welder messed something up they would have replace the material, carbon steel is a different story, much cheaper to have welded since the material is cheap and much easier to weld. If i were welding it up out of my garage i would charge about $150-$200 depending on how well the pieces fit together, if it were mild steel it would be about $100-$150
I was going to say ballpark $400 + all the homebrew he wants

Old 04-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #13
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

More info: It was done at work on lunch so any materials and costs were free. I was thinking $250 + growlers.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:48 AM   #14
doctorsbro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

oh well in that case, $150 and a high five

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS