Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Electricl boil keggle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
RadicalEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Electricl boil keggle?

Anybody ever hear of one? I'll be moving into an apartment with an electric stove and zero patio/balcony space, so I've been trying to think of alternatives, and nothing else has struck a bell yet.

Now yes, I am very keenly aware that traditionally electric kettles aren't used for boilers as the easiest form of construction, with the element stuck inside of the kettle, will burn wort very easily. So the issue becomes avoiding this burning.

This tells me that the element (could not be standard water heater element) will either need to be affixed somehow to the exterior of the kettle, or used in a double-boiler arrangement with oil. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas with regards to any of this? Any flashes of insight on as to what might make a good double boiler to hold a keggle?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Several people here have used elements in direct conact with the wort and I have not heard a single complaint about scorching. The only time I have heard of scorching is using an element in the Mash Tun in direct contact with the grain. Stirring seems to remedy it. Just food for thought.

A little OT. Technically the element shouldnt be able to get any hotter than 212F because the water in the wort will evaporate and carry it away. I dont know what temp sugar starts to burn but it must be greater than 212F.

When heating with direct fire LP or natural Gas you are introducing ALOT more power/heat (WATTs, BTUs, what ever you want to call it) to the bottom of the Keggle than one large element could ever hope to.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
RadicalEd
Recipes 

Hmmmm, I suppose you make a good point there . I just know that a lot of fellas in the distilling forums I frequent (just out of curiosity, I swear ) have issues with grain washes and direct element contact.

Ok, so assuming that it should work, do my element sizing maths sound right?

total water mass = 6 gallons*3.75 L/gal *1000g/L = 22500g
thermal capacity of water: 4.19*J/(C*g)
So total thermal inertia = 94.3kJ/C

typical thermal differential to boil: 100*C-60*C = 40*C
So total energy needed = 40*94.3KJ =3,771,000J

Given a warmup time of 20 minutes = 1200 seconds, you'd need a wattage of 3.77M/1200 = 3142 watts...dang, that's pretty high for a 15 amp circuit (some might even say impossible)! Never mind any losses due to poor insulation. With a 1250 watt elements, that's looking at a 50 minute wait time to get to boiling.

Ok then, given 1250 watts, what is the evaporation rate?
Enthalpy of vaporization ~ 2100KJ/Kg
1.250/2100 = .0006Kg/sec = .6g/sec = 2.16L/hour

Well....Dang. Looks like without a 20 amp circuit, or preferably a 220V circuit, an internal element probably won't work too well. Curses, I've been foiled again!

Old 04-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts

http://cnj.craigslist.org/hsh/639481285.html
http://cnj.craigslist.org/hsh/639481285.html

Build one of these (heatstick) and boil on the electric stove. Build two and boil anywhere you have power. Use a GFI and have adequate circuits!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:00 AM   #5
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Check to see what size breaker you have on your over, good chance it is at least 30 Amps. if it is electric that is...
240V at 30 amps is plenty. You usually can pull out the pan drawer and unplug it. Make a plug for your element to go in there.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
keiths

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalEd
Anybody ever hear of one? I'll be moving into an apartment with an electric stove and zero patio/balcony space, so I've been trying to think of alternatives, and nothing else has struck a bell yet.

Now yes, I am very keenly aware that traditionally electric kettles aren't used for boilers as the easiest form of construction, with the element stuck inside of the kettle, will burn wort very easily. So the issue becomes avoiding this burning.

This tells me that the element (could not be standard water heater element) will either need to be affixed somehow to the exterior of the kettle, or used in a double-boiler arrangement with oil. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas with regards to any of this? Any flashes of insight on as to what might make a good double boiler to hold a keggle?

Thanks in advance!
This is what I use and I NEVER have had a scorched wort that I know of.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
RadicalEd
Recipes 

wilser-I think you may have miss-posted...Those links are for a refrigerator.

Virtuous: sadly, I can't check the circuit, as the circuit in question is in an apartment I'll be moving into in the fall. But I can be relatively sure that it won't be 240V.

Keiths: Sweet! What's your element size and heatup time, if you don't mind sharing?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
keiths

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=
Keiths: Sweet! What's your element size and heatup time, if you don't mind sharing?[/QUOTE]

the elements are 4500w 240v extra low density & I can get 13 gal. boiling in around 30 min. from 160 deg mash out temp to boil.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts

I don't believe I have ever heard of an electric range/oven that was not run on 220VAC. I am almost positive you will have that service in you kitchen.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
keiths

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If the Kitchen is set up for an electric stove it will be 240v.

Quick Reply