Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Electric Keggle Conversion Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
bellinmi88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Electric Keggle Conversion Project

Started to convert my Keggle to electric following Kal's methods:

The Materials:

I started with cutting the hole in the keg using the Greenlee Radio Punch (which I would be willing to rent out to anyone on this forum for a weekend):

Once the hole was cut in the Keg I used the same Radio Punch which was 1.25" to cut the hole in the box cover. I used a step bit from Harbor Freight to drill the initial hole for the Radio Punch.

Here is the 5500 Watt ULD Element dry fitted into the new hole.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Next I needed to cut the hole for the conduit box. I used a 2.25" hole drill with a drill press at about 3000 RPMs. I also used a little cutting oil, not sure if I needed to but since I had it out I didn't think it would hurt.

You can see in the next picture I had to grind down all the nubs on the conduit box in order to get the cover to lay flat to form a nice bond between the two surfaces. I also applied some pressure overnight between the two while the JB Weld dried and set.

The next day the two were bonded together. Here is the semi-completed conduit box.

Next is the power cord. I found the same Carol brand 10/3 300V UL Water Resistant SJ00W power cord at Home Depot for $2.18 per foot.

I will be finishing up this weekend then moving on to pouring the concrete countertop I am making for my Brew Rig!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
cliffhanger1821
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Impressive! Subscribed.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Okay I final finished my eKeggle project. Here are some more photos from where I left off.

I mounted the conduit box to the Keg using the 1.5" ID 2.25" OD .075" thick washer/shim. You can see from this photo the messy JB Weld job I did.

Here is the washer/shim pressed up against the keg with the silicon gasket sitting between the element and the shim.

A view from the inside. It was a trick trying to keep the element parallel, the box parallel and tighten the 1.5" nut inside.

Once everything was snug the way I wanted it. I sealed the element nut with FDA Approved Silicone. I bought a 2.8 ounce tube and have about 2.4 ounces left if anyone needs some!

I put a generous amount on then once it started to set (within 20 minutes) I pressed it into the seam between the two surfaces to make sure there were no gaps or air bubbles. It also cleaned it up a bit more. I then connected the terminals.

I used some connectors I bought at Harbor Freight that required a heat gun to mold it to the wire. I ended up also putting some electrical tape.

Placed the conduit box cover back on and that was it. All done. I plan on wet testing it this weekend.

Finished Product.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
MrWildcat2U
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Wait, so ya don't have to use expensive temp controls? That was the only thing really stopping me from doing this in the first place.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You certainly don't have to but I will be using a controller, the BCS-460. This eKeggle will plug into a receptacle on my brew rig which will be wired to the controller.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #7
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Nice clear post belinmi88. Thanks. I'm wanting to make an electric HLT like what you've done. Are there any other less complex, cheaper ways to control the temperature than the BCS-460?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You could use a PID with a SSR, I think those two devices combined might be around $68. A 40Amp SSR is only $13 and a PID will run you around $45.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

There is no vinegar in the silicone. It is releasing ammonia during curing.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Actually it is releasing Acetic Acid not ammonia as a by product of the curing process. Acetic acid is an organic compound and is the main component of vinegar.

See the description from the Momentive Data Sheet.

"RTV102, RTV103, RTV106, RTV108, RTV109, RTV112, RTV116 and RTV118 one-component, ready-to-use adhesive sealants are extremely versatile. They cure to a tough, durable, resilient silicone rubber on exposure to atmospheric moisture at room temperature. Acetic acid vapors are released from the sealant surface as a by-product of cure"

Quick Reply