Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > DIY Mash Tun - 7 Gal Rubbermaid Big Enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
BrothersTrout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DIY Mash Tun - 7 Gal Rubbermaid Big Enough?

I can't seem to find 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers anywhere, but I see online that Wal-Mart stocks the 7 gallon version. Is that big enough for a 5 gallon all-grain batch? I don't know how much room the grain takes up when you add it to the water, so while this might seem like a stupid question, it just may not be

Thanks!

~JT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, a 7 gallon cooler will be fine for a 5 gallon batch. You should be able to get about 18 lbs of grain in there using 1.25 qt/lb which would get you up to a gravity of approximately 1.089.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #3
BrothersTrout
Recipes 

Rock on, thanks jfrizzel! And most of the recipes I'm looking at call for much less grain (under 9 pounds roughly, for a Bitter), so I think I'd be in great shape.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd really try to find a 10 gallon if you can. 7 gallons is going to max out pretty quickly if you want to make anything bigger than a pale ale(or bitter, blonde, etc.).

You also do not have to use a Rubbermaid, you can use any type of cooler. many of the people on this site use square coolers, as they are available with larger capacities. Rubbermaids are used because of the spigot - they are ready to convert. However, a different type of cooler will work just fine, but might require a bit more effort to install your braid, bullet screen, SS shank, etc.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
fishops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
I'd really try to find a 10 gallon if you can. 7 gallons is going to max out pretty quickly if you want to make anything bigger than a pale ale(or bitter, blonde, etc.).
I totally disagree. You can EASILY do gravities of 1.10 and up with a 7 gallon cooler, especially if you do a slightly stiff mash. I would only really worry about it if you wanted to move up to 10 gallon batches at some point.

For reference, I own both a 5 gallon and 10 gallon cooler, and I only ever have to break out the 10 for grain bills of 16 pounds or more. A 7 gallon cooler will do just fine for practically any 5 gallon batch of beer you want to make short of some sort of mega ultra barleywine partigyle nightmare.
On Tap: Centennial Blonde
Kegged / Bottled: Oatmeal Stout, Dunkelweizen

Old 07-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
davebl
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use one of the 7 gal's and they work GREAT. I have made beers up to about 1.068 (my house IPA and its done well. They hold heat for 9 pound batches great (1.25qt/lb). In fact I got 0 temp loss on a 90 minute mash the other day.

In mine I made a CPVC square manifold, and get about 77% mash efficiency, but I am curious what a stainless braid would do.

Planning:

Primary: Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout

Secondary: Centennial IPA (Dry Hopping)

Kegged: Oberon Clone, Kona Fire Rock APA, Northern English Brown, Centennial Blond

Quick Reply