Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > DIY False Bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
bhambrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default DIY False Bottom

As always: thanks to all the members who share their experiences here and post lots of pictures!

I was trying to figure out how to avoid paying the big bucks for a false bottom...here is the solution:

Fortunately, we have a large scrap metal outfit in town, with 15 acres of stuff to pick through. I found a few pieces of this 3/32" thick stainless steel perf in one of the bins. It was $1.50 / LB for a total cost of about $5. The holes are about 1/8" diameter. I marked two 7 1/2" semi-circles and cut the material with the cutoff disc on my angle grinder. I attached two small SS hinges with SS nuts and bolts to the two halves of the FB.

Slipped it into the bottom of the keg, and it seems to fit pretty good!

Soaked it overnight in a solution of Straight-A and came out looking great.

After reading many threads about False Bottoms there is still one thing that I don't quite understand: how to incorporate the pickup tube? I assume that I just drill a hole in the middle of the False Bottom and drop the tube in and attach to the drain fitting. What I don't understand is: can I still remove the False Bottom with the pickup tube installed? Would I even need to remove the False Bottom? Or, do I need to remove the pickup tube to remove the False Bottom? I was planning on using a small length of copper or stainless tube with compression fitting on the keg for the pickup tube. Any Ideas??

Thanks for the comments!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
ScottyBones

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

nice job!

in re the pickup tube: i'm pretty sure you cannot remove the FB once the dip tube is installed. you might want to mount the tube in such a way as to make it easily removable, as you will probably want to clean out the very bottom of the MLT once you remove the bulk of the grains (you will most likely have some sediment down there)

Quagmire: "lets play drink the beer!"
Peter: "what do i get if i win?"
Quagmire: "another beer!"
Peter: "Oh man, i'm going for the high score!"

Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've got the Sabco false bottom, with the hole in the center. I just bent a piece of 1/2" OD soft copper in to a 90, cut to appropriate length, flared the end that connects to the bulkhead connection. Remove it to remove the false bottom. Dip tub holds it in place when I dump spent grain. I drilled a few holes right near the bottom of the pickup tube to prevent grain that makes its way thru somehow from being picked up by the dip tube. Not much gets through, but I don't like it to end up in the BK when fly sparging. I'll try to get some pics of mine tonight if it helps.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Get a 1/2" npt male to 1/2" tube Swagelok fitting so you can disconnect the dip tube to remove the false bottom.

Guy

bhambrew Likes This 
Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
bhambrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, so...this is what I was trying to duplicate:

Am I assuming correctly that the pickup tube will need to be removed each time the false bottom is removed? Perhaps more importantly...does the false bottom even need to be removed each brew session (to clean the MLT)? Just currious

Single Tier, Bottom Drain MLT, HERMS Build
DIY 2-Tier AG Brewstand Build

Bellingham Homebrewers Guild

Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
bhambrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
I'll try to get some pics of mine tonight if it helps.
Thanks, that would be great!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
diatonic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

This might be better. Here is KiltedBrewer's video showing the install of a JayBird false bottom. Mine is about the same, except I use a flared connection instead of a compression connection. I already had a flaring tool for doing my gas line work, and the 1/2" flare stuff is easy to work with.

.:diatonic:.

1° - Simple Cider (2/15/2014) - Saison Mead (6/26/2014) - En Perpetuum (Belgian sour base) (7/3/2014)
2° - Nuthin
Aging in a wine barrel - En Perpetuum—Solera (1/23/2011)
Kegs - May the Schwarz-Bier with you (2/9/2014) — Test Depth American Stout (8/29/2013), Big Red Imperial Red IPA (1/19/2014)

My brew rig is pretty much done :)
You should follow me on Twitter - My Brew Logs

Old 04-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have a soldered 5/8" OD "L" shaped diptube in mine and it also serves to keep the FB held down tight. You absolutely need to remove the FB to clean under it because you will get bits of grain in there. The idea of flaring the tube at the bulkhead is just fine. If you use a compression fitting, I highly recommend replacing the metal ferrule with a couple orings to make it really easy to seal and reconfigure. Metal ferrules actually have to be cut off the tube if you want to remove the compression nut.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
bhambrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
This might be better. Here is KiltedBrewer's video showing the install of a JayBird false bottom. Mine is about the same, except I use a flared connection instead of a compression connection. I already had a flaring tool for doing my gas line work, and the 1/2" flare stuff is easy to work with.
Thanks for the great video...that is exactly what I had in mind.
Sounds like I may need to pick up a flare tool? How pricy is that?

Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
bhambrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
The idea of flaring the tube at the bulkhead is just fine. If you use a compression fitting, I highly recommend replacing the metal ferrule with a couple orings to make it really easy to seal and reconfigure. Metal ferrules actually have to be cut off the tube if you want to remove the compression nut.
Thanks for the advice. I also picked up a ton of brass compression fittings of various types from the back room of the scrap yard, most of them still new. Sounds like I need to get my hands on a supply of silicone o-rings. I found them in lots of 100 at McMaster Carr, or ordered individually from Bargain Fittings...do you have any other sources for them? Thanks.

Quick Reply