Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Countertop Brutus 20

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #81
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
There are ventilation holes in the top and bottom sides of the bucket if you look closely.

ULD would be great but nobody makes 120V 2KW ULD elements. I've had no issues at all with the HD element, fortunately.
I bet the March pump company would deny a motor replacement if they saw those 4 small vent holes at the top of the bucket not alone what is at the bottom of the bucket. I wish you all the best on the windings going the distance
for the price they are asking for them.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #82
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The built-in fan on the pump combined with the vent holes works just fine. Believe it or not, there are crazy homebrewers out there who actually brew outdoors in 100 deg weather! Which, coincidentally, is about the same temp as is in the bottom of the bucket during operation.

Do you honestly have a dedicated, JC controlled, cooling system to maintain "optimal" operation temps for your pump? Dude, they're not that fragile (or expensive).

You do realize what application these pumps were designed for, right? (Hint: it's not homebrewing.) Oil your pump as specified in the owner's manual and it'll last you far, far longer than the 1-year warranty.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #83
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

So I brewed my first beer on this system this past weekend. Lots of learning still to do. The BK worked flawlessly, my recirculation system still needs some tweaks that I am working on. I have set up my system to do 5 gallon batches. The nice thing I have learned is that I will be able to fill my 8 gallon BK with my total water volume, heat it to strike temp, pump strike water to my 10 gal MLT, mash and then recirculate. I don't have to do any water additions, making things a bit more simple.

One question for JK though, did you do any testing with heating the "mashout" water to higher than 170? With my larger water volume it takes a really long time to recirculate and get my MLT temp back up to anywhere near 170. I was thinking of trying 175 degree water for the recirculation next brew.

Oh, regarding the pump, I have no qualms about putting it in a bucket inside my 70 degree house. Those pumps are heavy duty. I made several vent holes near the pump and at the top of the bucket. I agree with JK, putting it outside in 100 degree weather is just about as taxing. During recirculation you can take off the lid on the bucket to let even more air in.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM   #84
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
The built-in fan on the pump combined with the vent holes works just fine. Believe it or not, there are crazy homebrewers out there who actually brew outdoors in 100 deg weather! Which, coincidentally, is about the same temp as is in the bottom of the bucket during operation.

Do you honestly have a dedicated, JC controlled, cooling system to maintain "optimal" operation temps for your pump? Dude, they're not that fragile (or expensive).

You do realize what application these pumps were designed for, right? (Hint: it's not homebrewing.) Oil your pump as specified in the owner's manual and it'll last you far, far longer than the 1-year warranty.
I have no problem with March pumps since the last pair went with the last old brewery I sold. Had one within 3 weeks with shunted windings to ground and replaced free, the second the impeller was just a hair too tight and would not rotate until some polishing with 1,200 grit took care of that problem. Priming was a problem I can do without hence I do not own a March pump now or for the future brewery build. The 1/10 HP Little Giant with 1" inlet at end center kicks butt and passes big lumps even with a mistake on my part as well primes every time. March is a good pump its that I switched to Little Giant and will never switch back. Hell the March pump was mounted on a camera tripod ball to position 360 degrees in any direction once as a test thinking it was me the problem. Was loaned a Little Giant from a fellow brewer, success case closed as I only purchased one pump so the price came out even plus trouble free service. JMO's and results here.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #85
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't own any march 809's but I doubt a 1/25 hp pump can generate enough heat to maintain high enough temps to kill itself within a vented 5 gallon bucket.
A quick temperature measurement would lay this to rest?

I've used other march pumps in a lab setting where they were being constantly blasted with 110F+ air from a compressor pump fan and they were fine for the 3 years I worked there.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #86
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
One question for JK though, did you do any testing with heating the "mashout" water to higher than 170? With my larger water volume it takes a really long time to recirculate and get my MLT temp back up to anywhere near 170. I was thinking of trying 175 degree water for the recirculation next brew.
For my 4 - 4.5 gal pre-boil volumes, it usually takes 30-45 minutes for the system to recover to 170. I can totally believe that larger mashes could take considerably longer tho. I can't see any problem with starting with hotter water for the mashout. I'd bet you could even start with boiling and stir it in at the beginning of recirculation to distribute and quickly bring the mash up to temp, then have the PID "hold" at 170 for the rest of your desired recirculation time.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #87
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Live brewcast on the Countertop Brutus 20 tomorrow morning. Details here!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #88
mrallison83
Recipes 

this system intrigues me.

my fermbar build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/baby...8/#post1605656

Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 PM   #89
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't think I can post a pic so here is a link to a pic of my Countertop Brutus 20. I absolutely love this system.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_S6DGhbXzhI...s1600-h/-1.jpg

Many, many thanks to Jkarp for all of his help and guidance getting this together. I could not have built the system without his help. A truly great guy. I am sure he is tired of all of my Pm's by now.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 PM   #90
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

That's AWESOME!