Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Converting Coleman Xtreme 70qt to MLT

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
thehand
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Converting Coleman Xtreme 70qt to MLT

I'm in the middle of trying to convert a Coleman Xtreme 70qt cooler into a MLT, using the parts and technique this guy used:

Building a Cooler Mash Tun | BrewMoreBeer

I've run into a little problem. When I removed the drain valve it came with, I broke the inner rubber gasket that came with it, and the hole is too big to get a good seal with the #15 o-rings. I went back to Lowe's to try to find some kind of rubber gasket or washer to get a good seal, but couldn't find anything. I searched the web and these forums but couldn't find a good solution. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
LoganAz
Recipes 

I just finished converting an 10 gal "Igloo" water cooler into a Mash Tun. It was the same idea as the one in this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...version-23008/

But the hole in mine was close to 7/8 so I found a grommet like this at Home Depot:

RPD Products | Grommets

It worked great!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #3
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The bargainfittings.com vendor guy has a gasket on this page:
Bargain Fittings

might that work?

He's on HBT, so you could probably PM him for more info on the gasket...

Old 08-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #4
thehand
Recipes 

Logan - thanks for the idea. I picked up a grommet like that but it still leaked.

shorty - thanks for the link, I think that may be exactly what I am looking for. I found some rubber washers, the inner hole is too small for the 1/2" nipple but I thought it might work. Just tested it out and it still leaks. Plus it smells strongly of rubber and I am not sure it would be safe for brewing purposes. I went ahead and ordered one of those gaskets off his site, so hopefully that will work.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #5
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I found that at Lowe's, Ace and home depot have various neoprene washers that worked well for my cooler bulk head. I think I used a 5/8 washer and trimmed it down to fit, I also used a plastic nut to secure it. This is an old picture of my first bulk head, I put the neoprene washer between the valve and the outer wall of the cooler.
bulkhead.jpg

Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
thehand
Recipes 

In what department did you find the neoprene washers? I looked all over Lowe's for something like that, and when I asked where I could find washers, the guy showed me the rubber ones with the nuts and bolts. I asked if they had anything else like that and he said no.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I love my Coleman Xtreme 70qt. I'm guessing, between my father and I, we've got at least 20 5-10 gallon batches on it and it has held up well. I noticed some slightly warping on the inside, but it hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed.

I'd love to find out what type of efficiency you get using the braid. I avg 75-85% into the boiler with mine, using a manifold.

It's a pretty big footprint to have just freefloating around. If you're ever considering moving to a copper manifold.. here is what mine looks like...

Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Troubs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Janzik -

I'm in the process of converting my 70qt Xtreme Cooler with a copper manifold and I'm starting to get worried about the dead space underneath the outlet. Do you have a lot left over in the cooler after you are done mashing? Am I worrying for nothing?

Frank Sinatra - “I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.”

Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehand View Post
In what department did you find the neoprene washers? I looked all over Lowe's for something like that, and when I asked where I could find washers, the guy showed me the rubber ones with the nuts and bolts. I asked if they had anything else like that and he said no.
I found them in the hardware/fastener section, in the bins.I think they were near the nylon washers.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is my conversion...

As far as a new gasket, something I found was getting a silicone baking dish (found a 8"x8" one at a Tuesday Morning for $5) and cut out your own silicone gaskets... I am using two in my E-HLT... Work great... And you can make them as large or as small as you want...

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Quick Reply