Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Coleman Xtreme Mash Tun, How to do?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
ben2904
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Coleman Xtreme Mash Tun, How to do?

Im about to make a mash tun with coleman xtreme cooler 36qt.
Which one is better by all means? Price,Working time, Better quallity, better durability and all other means...just what is better for me to use as a mash tun..

option 1:

option 2:
(btw, Should I use copper for this or cpvc? and holes up or down?)

and on the out side, what should I connect to the valve?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
pigroaster
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default options

I have used both and now use copper with cuts down. Presently I have added a layer of aluminum sheet with chisel slits hit in it so it is barely a crack in each spot to cover the copper grid. I also did the chisel aluminum sheet trick on top after making a tray so water will not channel as it moves through the bed. It works fine for me. The outside really needs a hose on it so no oxygen gets in wort when moving it when it is hot.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
ben2904
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigroaster View Post
I have used both and now use copper with cuts down. Presently I have added a layer of aluminum sheet with chisel slits hit in it so it is barely a crack in each spot to cover the copper grid. I also did the chisel aluminum sheet trick on top after making a tray so water will not channel as it moves through the bed. It works fine for me. The outside really needs a hose on it so no oxygen gets in wort when moving it when it is hot.
Thank you for your comment, but I didn't really understand what are you saying here? which two you have? the filter and the copper or the copper and the cpvc? which one is better and recommended for me? and for what all the aluminum is added? where? how? why?
can you be more detailed?

Im sorry I didn't understand...

Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 350 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

Use CPVC. Cheap and cheerful. Easy to clean. Just fit the couplers on, no glue needed.

Here's mine using 1/2" CPVC in a 52 qt Coleman Extreme cooler. It just happens that the 1/2" CPVC tube fits precisely inside the bulkhead fitting, making for an easy connection there. I used a 7 1/4" thin-kerf paneling saw blade in an upside down mounted circular saw to cut the slots to the right depth. No burrs at all. Watch your fingers and your moves, no kidding!

The manifold is shown upside-down to show the slots. Of course it's flipped over during the mash.

Whole manifold assembly in my 52 qt Coleman Xtreme Cooler mash tun.

Closeup of the fitting to the bulkhead.

Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Reason: Added info and captions

Old 09-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
ben2904
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
Use CPVC. Cheap and cheerful. Easy to clean. Just fit the couplers on, no glue needed.

I used 1/2" CPVC in a 52 qt Coleman Extreme cooler. The CPVC tube fits precisely inside the bulkhead, making for an easy connection there.

Ok but why didn't you do the holes down instead of up? which one is better?
and how did you do the slits? with a saw?

and cpvc is durable? doesnt leave any plastic taste? easy to clean and isn't get painted by the wort?

And one last question, why did you choose this form for it? with the double connectors at the begining of it and the connectors thing at the end?

Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I used to use a cpvc manifold. I switched to a bazooka screen.

The cpvc manifold worked fine and required very little vorlof but I felt like I was leaving a bunch of wort behind.

The bazooka screen sets up quick and easy. I have to vorlof for a long time, but I think I'm getting every last drop of wort.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.
doc5md Likes This 
Old 09-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

There is a big thread on the xtreme cool here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-c...sh-tun-313896/

You put the notches down so grain does not get sucked in. When the grain bed settles it sits on top of the manifold and liquid drains from the bottom. That is why you vorlauf. I also recommend the CPVC (make sure it is "C" pvc as this is for potable water). Easy to cut and clean, no need for glue, and cheap

Old 09-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
I used to use a cpvc manifold. I switched to a bazooka screen.

The cpvc manifold worked fine and required very little vorlof but I felt like I was leaving a bunch of wort behind.

The bazooka screen sets up quick and easy. I have to vorlof for a long time, but I think I'm getting every last drop of wort.

I leave less than a quart of wart in my xtreme cooler. that is not very much

Old 09-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 337 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm not saying all manifolds leave a lot behind. I'm saying I thought mine left a lot behind. I think part of mine would blind-off when draining.

If I lived near a beach, I'd drink beer and look at the beach every day.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 387

I use a bazooka as well. It's remarkably easy

The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Quick Reply