Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap Ebay seller.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccabedoug View Post
Link doesn't show anything, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazzBarlow View Post
Wow! It would appear that since my posting of that link, they have discontinued that kettle. Anyway, it's www.spikebrewing.com and they're a sponsor of HBT, worthy of our support.
Just to clarify guys... That kettle was a one-off. We don't (couldn't afford to) offer that kettle on a regular basis.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #22
djelemenohpee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a few quick questions. I am super new to brewing. So new that my first beer kit is due to arrive this wednesday. I am currently shopping for a 5 gallon pot to brew my first batch in. What is the difference in purchasing an aluminum or a Stainless steel pot?
Is one better than the other?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Stainless is always best, but aluminum is also just fine. The biggest difference is the quality and fit of the handles. The aluminum pots tend to loosen the handles if filled and lifted very much. Alli also requires a good layer of oxidation on the inside surfaces to avoid the tangy taste it tends to leave. Fortunately the oxide layer is super easy, just boil a couple pots of plain water and it's done. If you can afford the wallet shock a 10 gallon stainless is ideal for a new comer to grow with. Otherwise do the largest pots your budget will over and call it good. I had found a vendor that was cheap but have experienced poor service and am still waiting for it to arrive after 2 weeks. Welcome to the addiction, I caught it doing my first batch in a Mr Beer set up and have been trying to get to all grain as fast as I can go on a disabled persons budget. Hope this helps.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #24
djelemenohpee
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks Bob. Another question if you don't mind. Can a 10 gallon be boiled on a stove top or will I then need to buy one of those propane burners? If so what BTUs do I need.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by djelemenohpee View Post
Thanks Bob. Another question if you don't mind. Can a 10 gallon be boiled on a stove top or will I then need to buy one of those propane burners? If so what BTUs do I need.
A 10 gallon works on my stove, covering 2 burners, but half the time I brew over at a friends house and his microwave is in the way so we use a 5 gallon pot there.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Depends a lot on what kind of stove. Ceramic cook tops cannot safely stand the weight of a 10 gallon ppot and water. Thats about 75 Lbs. Also it takes a really long time to get a boil going and most times you need to leave the lid on so it will boils at all. Wally world has turkey fryers with a 30 QT pot for around 40 bucks and it works pretty fast for me. I boil strike and sparge wtaer in the 30 qt and full volume boil in the 50 Qt. I use a rubber maid cooler for a mash tun. So far so good.
Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Quick Reply