Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #621
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Your heartfelt thanks alone is plenty of gratitude. (Besides, shipping beer to Canada will cost more than the whole MLT build!).
I'm glad you feel that way, as I just finished my third cooler conversion! I don't want to think about the cost of shipping three six packs...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM   #622
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2781 Times on 2733 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I used the method in the thread - and the original seal... But the opening in the cooler is pretty large - and the O ring isn't touching anything.

There are, however, NO LEAKS from my build...

And I am grateful for the parts list - without it I would have never gotten around to building a MLT

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 PM   #623
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Interesting, I would have assumed that all the Rubbermaid 10 gal beverage coolers would have the same size opening. Regardless, the o-ring behind the outside washers is somewhat optional.

Glad to hear it is all holding water regardless!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 AM   #624
jacefive
Recipes 

We just made one, and it generally was easy and great. Just wanted to note some changes we made:

We used another barb at the internal end of the tube inside of the stainless supply hose so that we could screw the brass nut directly into it.

We couldn't find a stainless steel washer, so we used a thick gasket. It worked well. It was not completely water tight the first time we filled it, so I gave it one more full turn of tightness. Hopefully its water tight now because I doubt it will come apart again!

That's about it. Also a note: It creeks like crazy the first time it's filled with hot water!

Thanks for the great plans!

Primary 1-5: Nada til the weekend!
Secondary: Stone IPA clone
Kegged: J's peach wit
Kegged: Gabe's Weissbock

Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #625
jimba009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i have my 10 gal cooler and am going to buy parts today after work! hell yeah! one quick question though, any advantage/disadvantage to stainless valves and barbs?

update: did some research on this site, and found enough info to choke a donkey on what i was looking for. maybe i should do that before i ask questions???

Old 02-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #626
cytokine
Recipes 

Thanks for the tutorial FlyGuy.

Interesting note. While getting help finding the parts at the local Home Depot the guy helping me said "what are you doing, brewing beer?".

I asked him if he brewed and he said, "no, but there have been a few people in here looking for the same parts".

You may interpret this as you wish. I take it to mean that your tutorial is the last word on a DIY MLT.

Dancing Banana.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 AM   #627
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My pleasure cytokine - glad you found the information helpful.

That's pretty cool that there have been enough people going into Home Depot for MLT parts that the sales guy actually remembers them! HBT should get a kickback!

Cheers

Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 AM   #628
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey guys. MLT has been working like a charm for a long time now. I was looking at the stainless steal braid and it was all twisted up. I had to cut off a couple of inches.

Is it a big deal if the the total length of braid is 9 inches? Is it going to affect my efficiency at all? The diameter of the cooler is 13.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #629
LazySumo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Flyguy, thanks for the awesome post. I was in the local HB shop, they had a cooler almost exactly like what you setup. I was asking for a part's list, which they didn't have, and one customer in the shop pointed me to this DYI. I pulled it up on my phone's browser and went straight to Home Depot and picked up the parts. Got it all back home and it actually took longer to pick out the parts than put them all together.

Currently the MLT is sitting on the counter with 6gal of hot tap water in it and a clean paper towel under the spigot to check for leaks. Oh, I used 2 cut washers as spacer and after monkey-fisting the wrenches pretty hard the spigot doesn't spin and so far the paper towel is dry.

Thanks again, and like many others, w/o your write up I wouldn't have gotten around to doing it myself. Awesome work, mano.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 AM   #630
Irish1225
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

first off, thanks flyguy, seems like it will work like a dream

however, i had to modify some setup to get a tight enough seal

i put 4 fender washers on the inside along with the spigot seal that came with the cooler. on the outside, 1 cut washer (a little thicker). it was the only way i could get the parts to tighten enough to seal the hole. also, put 2 o-rings on the outside so the outside washer could add pressure to seal

however, i'm getting a slight leak (i'll probably mash regardless) of about a tablespoon/hour. tried with only 1 o-ring on the outside and same results... i haven't applied the vinyl tape yet because i didn't want to finalize everything yet (and it doesn't appear that the leak is coming from any threads)...

just wondered if you had any thoughts.

Quick Reply