Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #501
FEARDIZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

it doesn't really matter, as long as the washer fits on the cooler your fine.. you may have to shave off part of the outside washer if it doesn't fit correctly

Primary - Lumpy Dog Brown, Little Sumpin Sumpin

Secondary 1,2,3 -
Bottle conditioning : Apfelwein, Some Oatmeal type summer stout , 3 floyds alpha king clone

Drinking : Centennial Blonde, AHS Anny Blonde Rye

RIP: AHS 20th Anny IPA, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone "Black Sunday Stout"

Planning On Deck -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #502
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
I went to Lowes last night to get the materials to do this conversion. Now, I know this is going to sound stupid, but for the 5/8" stainless steel fender washer is the 5/8" the ID or OD? I have found a 5/8" stainless steel washer, but the OD is listed at 2" and this sounds a bit large. For the other three 5/8" washers what should the (I'm guessing) OD be?

As long as the ID is 5/8 (to accomodate the 3/8 nipple) and the OD is small enough to fit in the cooler, it doesn't matter...I'm pretty sure my washers were around 2".

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 PM   #503
Yin_Yang
Recipes 

neoprene rubber washers ok?

-=Clay=-
Up next: Cream Stout
Primary: Nut Brown Ale

Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #504
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yin_Yang
neoprene rubber washers ok
They work, I used them. I regret the decision. Buy lots and lots of them to get a tight fit or spends half the money (and not have to worry about little crevises for yummy sugars to get trapped in and feed the mold colonies.) and buy some SS washers online.

I went with the "I wanna put this together this weekend and I don't care how much I end up paying". In hindsight, I care and wish I'd have done it right the first time.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #505
Yin_Yang
Recipes 

i found a fastenal by my work, and grabbed a bag of ss washers today.

-=Clay=-
Up next: Cream Stout
Primary: Nut Brown Ale

Old 08-27-2008, 04:25 AM   #506
mrcleanwell
Recipes 

I just built a 10 gal MLT but am concerned about sanitation. It's not leaking, but due to the radius of the cooler, there is a very tiny gap between the washer and the inside of the cooler.
Is this normal? it seems like the perfect haven for bacteria.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #507
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Silicone sealant from a pet store (designed for saltwater fish) in there will seal that right up for you.

And in all honesty, you need not be worried about bacteria. Mold for storage, yes, but everything that goes into your mash tun is pre-boil, so even if you've got bacteria in there, they'll die in the boil.

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 AM   #508
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After ordering the rest of the parts needed for this from Fastenal (SS washers, Hi Temp O ring and SS hose clamp with SS screw) i put this together. I only used a 5 gallon cooler and upon testing there were no leaks. I tightened everything pretty good however, the entire assembly I put together rotates. Is this normal? Also, I bought an additional 5 gallon cooler for sparge water, but am unsure how to run the hose from the Hot Liquor Tank to the MLT. Any suggestions? Is a 5 gallon cooler too small, after reading the chapter in "How to Brew" I'm beginning to think I should have got 10 gallon coolers.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #509
FEARDIZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
Is a 5 gallon cooler too small, after reading the chapter in "How to Brew" I'm beginning to think I should have got 10 gallon coolers.
should of got the 10 gal.. my rectangale cooler was like $30 ish, not really sure what the deal is with the round one, it's more $$

Primary - Lumpy Dog Brown, Little Sumpin Sumpin

Secondary 1,2,3 -
Bottle conditioning : Apfelwein, Some Oatmeal type summer stout , 3 floyds alpha king clone

Drinking : Centennial Blonde, AHS Anny Blonde Rye

RIP: AHS 20th Anny IPA, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone "Black Sunday Stout"

Planning On Deck -

Old 08-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #510
Kevin Dean

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I went to Maryland Homebrew today and picked up a Bazooka Screen for $20.

For anyone who wants to use a Bazooka Screen instead of the braid and is following the instructions here with the round cooler, you'll want to substitute the 3/8" Male barb adapter with a 1/2" x 3/8" Pipe Reducing Coupling (Watts A-815) in the yellow bag. This will allow you to connect the larger Bazooka Screen to the smaller nipple.

You'll also need to use a pair of needle nosed pliers and crimp the end because it's too long to fit. Two folds did it for me!

Now I'm excited to brew with it! I'll provide some follow up after.

Quick Reply