Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #2571
bzwyatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Yeah, I got better stuff at an Ace too. I hate HD, it really sucks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #2572
dyqik
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
I've searched a bit through this thread, but haven't found anything that addresses the fact that Home Depot 10 gallon coolers have a larger opening now, and the 3/8" size is no where close to what is needed.

Has anyone built one recently with this new cooler, and if so, did you just increase the size of all the parts?
I was struggling with getting my 5 gallon Rubbermaid/Home Depot cooler HLT to seal properly with 3/8" fittings (although my MLT did seal OK eventually) - I gave up and just ordered a couple of 1/2" S/S kits from a brewing vendor (I forget which), which I eventually got to work right - you need thread tape on the inside fittings as well as the outside one. I think these kits were probably cheaper than buying the components at Home Depot as there isn't the waste of money and time trying to get the right bits that fit.

I could have sourced the parts myself I think, but it would've taken a lot longer...

Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #2573
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyqik View Post
I was struggling with getting my 5 gallon Rubbermaid/Home Depot cooler HLT to seal properly with 3/8" fittings (although my MLT did seal OK eventually) - I gave up and just ordered a couple of 1/2" S/S kits from a brewing vendor (I forget which), which I eventually got to work right - you need thread tape on the inside fittings as well as the outside one. I think these kits were probably cheaper than buying the components at Home Depot as there isn't the waste of money and time trying to get the right bits that fit.

I could have sourced the parts myself I think, but it would've taken a lot longer...
You may have answered the question i came to ask, can half inch nipples fit through the hole properly?

I ask because after going to the brew store to look at some Cam lock's i realized that my 3/8 barb makes it basically impossible to hook a camlock up to it.

Actually while writing this i realized for my kettle i ordered a 1/2" nipple that was too long and made my ball valve stick way out...maybe just maybe i can find that!

Old 06-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #2574
dyqik
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
You may have answered the question i came to ask, can half inch nipples fit through the hole properly?

I ask because after going to the brew store to look at some Cam lock's i realized that my 3/8 barb makes it basically impossible to hook a camlock up to it.

Actually while writing this i realized for my kettle i ordered a 1/2" nipple that was too long and made my ball valve stick way out...maybe just maybe i can find that!
They do fit through nicely, with one washer on each side and a couple of o-rings to seal the washer on the front to the cooler seal. The kit I ordered had a 1/2" nipple about 1.5" long - the kind which just shows a 1/4" gap in the middle between the threads, plus a female coupler, two o-rings, three washers, the ball valve and hose fitting, all in stainless.

Looking at the prices online at Homedepot, I think the kit was cheaper than buying stainless parts from somewhere like there - $28.50 each from bargainfittings.com - but you can probably part it out cheaper if you have a good local independent hardware store or if you are OK with using brass.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #2575
mbach72
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I'd like to thank Flyguy and anyone else who has contributed to this thread. I recently started wading into AG via the BIAB route. However, I'm a tinkerer and can't leave well enough alone so I wanted to move to a three vessel setup. After reading this thread(and about a thousand others) I took the plunge today and cobbled together a 5g mash tun using a Rubbermaid 5g cylindrical cooler.

I left the stock rubber or plastic grommet in the spigot hole and used all 3/8" parts. Everything fit like a glove. On the inside, I used a 5/8" o ring and a s/s washer in front of a T , with a barb on each side, allowing me to create a loop of mesh braid. I'm not sure that this even makes a ton of difference but I did it anyhow. The outside required 3 washers to give the valve handle enough clearance.

I know most of you would go all s/s, but I was able to find everything in lead free brass. Not ideal, I know, but it fit the current budget. Here's the good part, I put the entire MT together for $46. That includes the cooler.

For those of you in WI, I sourced all my parts at Menards. They have the 5g Rubbermaid cooler for $16. They even had the elusive 5/8" stainless washers.

Now, to upgrade my boil kettle...

Old 07-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #2576
sok454
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Found a 10gal cooler on a local FB site for selling stuff. Got it for 15. Excited to get everything else so I can dive fully into AG. Great notes on here.

Started brewing October 2012 with the Irish Car Bomb Stout (extract)

June 2013 Moved to BIAB/Partial Mash

August 2013 Moved to Full Mash 5 Gal MT

August 2013 Russian Imperial Stout "Time Warp Tongue Tickler" won Gold at local brew competition. Only 12 weeks from brew date!!!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #2577
liquid134
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i did a similar setup just the other day with a 48qt cooler. i found the stainless fender washers at Menards. pretty cheap too. came in packs of 5 if im not mistaken

Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #2578
Trippel-A
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I was going to build my own with Home Depot parts, but with a false bottom from a homebrew supplier. Unfortunately HD didn't have fender washers or silicon O-rings. I was still going to have to search for them, and I didn't know about bargainfittings.com, yet.

That same weekend, Northern Brewer was offering a free refractometer with their 10-gallon mashtun/sparge tank combo set, which included a false bottom. The refractometer happened to be the difference in price between parting it out myself (I know--I made a spreadsheet!) versus just ordering the damn thing from NB. So I drove back to Home Depot, returned my parts, and ordered the system from NB. Without the refractometer, I would have built it myself.

Unfortunately NB sent pipe nipples too long for the cooler walls... hopefully that will be resolved shortly.

Trippel A
getting over myself since 1999

Primary: none
Secondary: none
Bottles: Kama Citra Session IPA (all grain); black IPA (extract), White House Honey Ale (extract)

On deck: none
Future plans: All-grain saison w/ hibiscus & rose hips, Flanders red, Michigan honey mead, Gose

Old 07-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #2579
Damoxemus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Well, just started on this project. Got everything but... you guessed it... 5/8" SS Fender Washers.

First thing's first - is a Fender washer mandatory, or would a flat washer work? There's WAY too many posts to go through to find the answer to that.

Second - I called a couple of Marina shop's and they have tonnes of SS washers in all sizes. I live right on the coast so there's lots here and the price for one washer is 67 cents.

Sweet.

All I need is that O ring (which HD carries but were sold out of) and I'm good to go.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #2580
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

SS washers are what you need whatever they want to call them. "Fender" washers are usually large washers with smaller holes. Take your fittings with you to make sure the washers you buy fit.

Brew On!

Quick Reply