Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #2441
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85

If IC = immersion chiller than you can use a cheap pond pump and fill up a cooler with ice water
But start with water. If you start with ice you will have melted ice and half chilled wort.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #2442
mattyb85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

But start with water. If you start with ice you will have melted ice and half chilled wort.
Yes, good addition

Old 01-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #2443
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 104

I suppose I could buy something like this and rig the chiller to it (if I can find garden hose attachments) and plop into a full sink.

Thanks for all the help, being forced to move into a less than ideal apartment with little to work with, isn't fun.

Edit: Added photo for reference

kitchen.jpg  

Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #2444
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

No problem and yeah I imagine not. I have a rather big kitchen in mine but definitely not ideal. I just bought a burner tho so when it warms up I can move my brewing outside

Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #2445
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85

Yes, good addition
Yup, my summer water can be quite warm though. I try to chill to 100 and then switch to recirculating ice water. 5 gallons of 212F wort can turn 40 lbs of ice to bath water.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #2446
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate
I suppose I could buy something like this and rig the chiller to it (if I can find garden hose attachments) and plop into a full sink.

Thanks for all the help, being forced to move into a less than ideal apartment with little to work with, isn't fun.
That's what I would do. Do you have a dual basin sink? If so, put your pump in the full side and pump through the IC to the other drain. When your temp comes down add your ice to the supply and move your outlet to the supply basin and recirculate.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #2447
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Well, finally built the Lowes brand Rubbermade MT and it leaks, as others have encountered. Still has a lot of play in the rotation of the handle.

Had to put a bunch of O-rings between the washers and original gasket, as well as the outside between the washers (took 6 washers!) and cooler. I don't know if they're heat resistant (or food safe) so it may be a problem. No information on the package of O-rings. May have to find another solution before brew day.

Edit: More washers and more o-rings did the trick, although 170 degree water just warped the crap out of it. Thought it was going to crack and melt like the first BB I melted with hot water when I started years ago.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #2448
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianskate
Well, finally built the Lowes brand Rubbermade MT and it leaks, as others have encountered. Still has a lot of play in the rotation of the handle.

Had to put a bunch of O-rings between the washers and original gasket, as well as the outside between the washers (took 6 washers!) and cooler. I don't know if they're heat resistant (or food safe) so it may be a problem. No information on the package of O-rings. May have to find another solution before brew day.

Edit: More washers and more o-rings did the trick, although 170 degree water just warped the crap out of it. Thought it was going to crack and melt like the first BB I melted with hot water when I started years ago.
Return the fittings and buy a weldless bulkhead and valve from brewhardware.com. Less pieces and not expensive and it's stainless.

image-1402163929.jpg

image-3754446852.jpg

Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #2449
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Mark

Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #2450
Newbrew12
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quick question... For a 48 qt rectangular cooler, is the 3/8 ball valve the correct size or is 1/2 needed. I have read both ways, just curious on it. Forgive my lack of engineering knowledge.

Quick Reply