Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #2341
sarajevskopivo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
With my build, the initial washers that I bought didn't fit over the unthreaded part of the nipple. This caused the nipple to move forward and backward. I had to buy different washers that fit over they unthreaded portion of the nipple (slightly larger inside diameter). Both washers were sold as the same size, but the inside diameters varied. This allowed me to tighten everything properly with no leaks.

I don't completely understand your issue, but I thought this might help.
If I understood you correctly, I have to get washers that will go over that flat/unthreaded part of the nipple?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #2342
pdxbg
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That is correct. Some of the unthreaded part of the nipple should be protruding through to the outside of the cooler.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #2343
hungry4hops
Hop to it!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyb85
I'm not sure if I posted this in here before but I bought the weld-less bulkhead and 3 piece valve from brewhardware.com to make mine and didn't need any washers or use the original rubber washer. Works like a charm
After searching the depo for about an hour not finding the parts I needed or the parts just not being in stock I took you advice and went to brewhardware.com I couldn't be happier well worth the money and I got it in the mail 2 days later works perfectly!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #2344
mattyb85
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I tried the HD route first but to me buying 4 pieces (not including mash screen) is much better than buying a whole bunch and needing to use washers and stuff to make it for right

Old 10-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #2345
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarajevskopivo View Post
If I understood you correctly, I have to get washers that will go over that flat/unthreaded part of the nipple?
As others have said, and in my experience, yes.

Some people have used the build-a-bolt kits sold at Home Depot and/or Lowe's with success. I found the washers I needed at a local fastner store that typically caters to contractors. If you have one of these stores in your area, I'd give them a try. And bring the nipple piece with you. Good luck, finding the correct washers is the hardest part.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #2346
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yup, I just happen to have a friend at a hardware distributor whose wife works with my wife. I call him with numbers, he pulls it, takes it home, wife to wife, back home to me. Love it. I buy what I can on my own but if it is stainless, big, or an odd size he is my go to guy.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 10-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #2347
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just putting this out there, everything you need to fit a Mash Tun

I was able to get everything I needed from Silicone Tube >>> Barb >>> Ball Valve >> Washer >> Nipple >> Silicone Gasket >> Washer to build my MLT -- I think it was all about $18 w/ shipping. I then build a square manifold with cpvc (you could also use copper).

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index...&product_id=85

Old 10-30-2012, 03:37 AM   #2348
tschmitt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just finished my mash-tun. Followed the original directions. Got my washers at Fastenal. These would not fit over the middle (flat non grooved center part) of the nipple but held firm at the shoulder. This did not cause a problem. I used two washers on the inside and three on the outside. I used the original rubber seal on the inside of the nipple and two of the O ring gaskets on the outside of the nipple. Then I held the inside of the nipple with a wrench and tightened the outside of the nipple with a wrench. Worked like a charm. No leak whatsoever even loaded up to 10 gallons. Firm fittings, no wiggle, nice. Thank you to Fly Guy the OP and everyone for hints along the way. Like go to Fastenal for your washers. Hope to brew first All Grain this weekend.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #2349
Recipes 

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for this easy tutorial.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:10 PM   #2350
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1259 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 3403

Default Thanks OP

yup thanks to the OP.... i made this Mash tun and have used it 20+ times and it has never leaked a single drop!! These are great plans!

Quick Reply