Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 AM   #2271
grimstuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I still have spare SS washers if anyone needs a couple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #2272
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I put this together on Tuesday night with little to no trouble. The parts cost around $100 altogether, including the cooler (that was $50 at Home Depot). I followed the method of inserting tubing into SS braid, with holes cut into for easy flow and the cap on the end. I'll take some pictures at home tonight or tomorrow and post them. So far so good. I filled it completely and had not a single drop leaked after 24 hours. I am incredibly excited to be switching over to AG. Thank you SO much for putting this together. It cut my cost dramatically by DIY'ing it, keeping SWMBO happy, as well as ending up as just an incredibly cool project.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #2273
henrybeggs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Can the plastic handle all that heat? I feel like after a couple of uses it would start to give out.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #2274
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybeggs View Post
Can the plastic handle all that heat? I feel like after a couple of uses it would start to give out.
I read through more of the thread, and found discussion about it, so I got a high temp food grade tubing. So I'm not too worried about that. I also followed the suggestion of using an additional male barb inserted into the tubing, and then a simple hex cap on that. It holds it well, and then keeps it from floating up. I found no trouble using it with boiling water and had a solid, steady flow.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #2275
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clanchief View Post
I read through more of the thread, and found discussion about it, so I got a high temp food grade tubing. So I'm not too worried about that. I also followed the suggestion of using an additional male barb inserted into the tubing, and then a simple hex cap on that. It holds it well, and then keeps it from floating up. I found no trouble using it with boiling water and had a solid, steady flow.
If anything, you might see some deformation of the cooler's inner liner (bulging on the sidewall), but if I were to add tubing inside the SS braid, I'd probably recommend silicone hose, since it pretty much has the highest temp range you can find.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #2276
henrybeggs
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
If anything, you might see some deformation of the cooler's inner liner (bulging on the sidewall), but if I were to add tubing inside the SS braid, I'd probably recommend silicone hose, since it pretty much has the highest temp range you can find.
Yeah, that was my main concern. Won't all the deformation of the lining eventually lead to cracking?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2277
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Mine has not deformed and shows no signs of deforming after 5 or 6 AG batches.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #2278
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrybeggs View Post
Yeah, that was my main concern. Won't all the deformation of the lining eventually lead to cracking?
Has anyone using the Rubbermaid coolers found this to be a problem? I haven't heard anything along those lines, but that doesn't mean no one has experienced it.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #2279
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 13

#Clanchief - I have personally have not found this to be a problem. I haven't heard of anyone else having issue either. The rubbermaid coolers are BPA free, and are food grade quality, so I don't think there are any health concerns.

This from Rubbermaid's Q&A section, http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091235, (click the Q&A tab or "read all" next to the customer Q&A icon) which has two questions regarding the use of hot liquids in their coolers. It's not much, but I thought I'd throw it out there. It seems to me that they just don't know and don't want any liability of saying it's ok as they haven't tested the coolers with hot liquids.

Q1 - Is there a maximum temperature for the liquid that goes into the water cooler? For example, if I put hot tea or a liquid at 170F, will this cause a problem (either health for me or damage the cooler)?

A1 - Our water coolers are designed for keeping liquids cold. Cold air falls, therefore the coolers have heavy insulation in the bottom of the cooler to keep the coolness inside the container.
Warm air rises and would easily escape from the containers as they lack heavy insulation towards the top.

Our water coolers will keep liquids warm for a limited period of time, depending on the outside temperature and the temperature of the liquid placed inside. We do not recommend putting extremely hot liquids in the container as it may warp the liner.

Q2 - i need to know if that cooler is safe to drink hot liquids from.. i know it won't do well keeping stuff hot because its designed to keep stuff cool. I just wasn't sure if the plastics would release any harmful chemicles if there were hot liquid in it

A2 - The water coolers have not been tested for use with warm/hot liquids. We do not suggest using them for this purpose as it could damage and warp the lining.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #2280
Clanchief
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for that info. What it basically seems to say is that I might have problems with the lining in a couple of years and need to replace the cooler, or so it seems. Obviously not ideal as that's the single most expensive piece, but if I can get 5 years out of it, I'll be happy. I suppose it depends on how much it's used.

Quick Reply