Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #1521
camus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
The 10 gallon cooler has smaller surface area to volume ratio so it should perform better than the 5 gallon one.

This is true but for a given volume up wort, you would be better off with the a smaller cooler, the greatest heat loss is going to be at the area of the valve, the bottom of the cooler and the top. By going with a larger tun you will be increasing the 2 of 3 areas of greatest loss. This assumes the 10gal is of greater circumference. Also, the headspace has just been increased. Honestly I don't know if you will see much of a difference.

FWIW, I see about a 1 to 1.5 degree drop with mine, with about .5 degree variance with stirring, this is at about 65 degrees ambient.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #1522
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just adding a comment to keep this easy to get too.

BTW my LHBS has these pre-built for $120 with Blichmann parts.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #1523
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camus View Post
This is true but for a given volume up wort, you would be better off with the a smaller cooler, the greatest heat loss is going to be at the area of the valve, the bottom of the cooler and the top. By going with a larger tun you will be increasing the 2 of 3 areas of greatest loss. This assumes the 10gal is of greater circumference. Also, the headspace has just been increased. Honestly I don't know if you will see much of a difference.

FWIW, I see about a 1 to 1.5 degree drop with mine, with about .5 degree variance with stirring, this is at about 65 degrees ambient.
It is best to use the smallest mash tun that will hold the mash, agreed 100%. Use the 10 gallon tun only for 10 gallon batches.

I guess the lid will be the area of greatest heat loss, being large and not insulated. Some inject it with foam to improve it, but I have not. That might shave a degree off my heat loss.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 03-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #1524
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

I made this design and it's been a ****ing nightmare. First, my SS braid collapsed immediately on the first batch I brewed with it. I lost a few gravity points but otherwise still managed to drain most of the wort.

So before my batch today, I bought a new SS braid, removed the nylon tube, put a bunch of holes in it, and reinserted it. I could barely get the wort to flow. So I dumped my mash into a pot, took the tun apart, enlarged the holes in the nylon tube, and reinserted it and put everything back together. This time I could get a trickle of wort, which stops after 30 seconds.

Basically, the SS braid collapses around the barbed connection. The barb will not fit inside the nylon tube.

How the hell did anyone ever get this to work just using a braid?

P.S. My braid is SS. 16x1/2'' OD. 3/8''ID.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Reason: Update

Old 03-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #1525
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What's the diameter and length of your braid?

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #1526
camus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
It is best to use the smallest mash tun that will hold the mash, agreed 100%. Use the 10 gallon tun only for 10 gallon batches.

I guess the lid will be the area of greatest heat loss, being large and not insulated. Some inject it with foam to improve it, but I have not. That might shave a degree off my heat loss.
I feel compelled to follow up, I just did a 1.5 qt/lb mash and lost heat gangbusters. Previously I had been doing 1.25 max, anyway I lost about 4 degrees over 90, just FYI.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #1527
schreck
Recipes 

Never had a problem with regards to off flavors from the igloo's. Im sure if anyone had problems, they would have been addressed a long time ago, especially with the large number of home brewers who rely on coolers for mash tuns.

Here are a few modifications i remember reading about on thi thread and similar ones (buried somewhere in the 153 pgs and counting):
- always preheat the cooler (i use simmering/near boiling water).
- The lid is hollow. Fill it with spray insulation foam.
- cover/wrap cooler with blanket/towels.
- use an electric water heating element to maintain temps in the mash.

I have had much success with filling the lid with foam and preheating. I usually only see a 2-3 degree temp drop during a 60min mash.

Another good tip i read:
If you are doing mini mash, or have smaller grain bills, go ahead and cut a layer of foam insulation measured to the diameter of the cooler (or dimensions of the 10gal cooler), and rest it just above the grain bed, thereby reducing the empty space.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #1528
spookman
Recipes 

The only stainless steel supply hose I was able to find was a 3/8ths x 1/2in FIP 12" hose. I want to make sure if this will work or not before I go ahead and cut it.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #1529
dropitlikesitshot
Recipes 

@rexbanner: I am building this and having my own challenges, but to address your collapsing braid i read a post where a person used copper wire 10-12 gauge and coiled it. Then elongated the coil and inserted in the braid. That may stop the braid from collapsing. I also just read on another DYI post where a person used a SS spring and inserted into the braid. Finally after reading your post I might just buy a false bottom.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #1530
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropitlikesitshot View Post
@rexbanner: I am building this and having my own challenges, but to address your collapsing braid i read a post where a person used copper wire 10-12 gauge and coiled it. Then elongated the coil and inserted in the braid. That may stop the braid from collapsing. I also just read on another DYI post where a person used a SS spring and inserted into the braid. Finally after reading your post I might just buy a false bottom.
I would just go with a false bottom. I'm about to order one.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Quick Reply