Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Cheap & Easy 10 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #1261
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 456
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

What has everyone used as a thermometer for their this? I want to add one to it but just don't know which is good and will work best.

I am tired of using my little floating one.

__________________
IPAAAA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 02:35 PM   #1262
DrawTap88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 1,074
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Good call on the baby bottle nipple. I never would've thought of that.

For the thermometer, I started using a digital food thermometer but then got one of these. I'm sure there is a way to attach a permanent thermometer, but I'm not savvy enough to figure it out.

__________________

Fermenting: Nothing
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Oatmeal Porter, Double Chocolate Chipotle Porter
Kegged: IPA, Red Rye

DrawTap88 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #1263
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Green Side of, WA
Posts: 184
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
What has everyone used as a thermometer for their this? I want to add one to it but just don't know which is good and will work best.

I am tired of using my little floating one.
Here's an idea: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/02...lt-mlt-cooler/
__________________
cheez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 AM   #1264
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 456
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawTap88 View Post
Good call on the baby bottle nipple. I never would've thought of that.

For the thermometer, I started using a digital food thermometer but then got one of these. I'm sure there is a way to attach a permanent thermometer, but I'm not savvy enough to figure it out.
That is what I would like to use. So no one here has attached a thermometer like people have on metal HLT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
I don't really trust electronic thermometers. Have you tried this guys method? Seems a little sketchy with the bung and what not.
__________________
IPAAAA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 02:40 AM   #1265
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cheez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Green Side of, WA
Posts: 184
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAAAA View Post
That is what I would like to use. So no one here has attached a thermometer like people have on metal HLT?



I don't really trust electronic thermometers. Have you tried this guys method? Seems a little sketchy with the bung and what not.
No, I haven't tried it. Here's another kit http://morebeer.com/view_product/175...ermaid_Coolers but I haven't tried this one either. It would be handy to have but I am always afraid of drilling more holes into the cooler.

Check out this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rubb...ometer-171517/
__________________
cheez is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 05:02 AM   #1266
klyph
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Pole, Alaska
Posts: 1,809
Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

http://www.mcmaster.com/#36895k831

Or if you like paying double at morebeer
http://morebeer.com/view_product/175...T_x_1_2%22_FPT
__________________
10 gallon electric system
Stovetop 110v single vessel 5 gallon system

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought
klyph is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #1267
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
limulus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL Burbs, Georgia
Posts: 1,166
Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default

You could add one of these to your 1/2" valve. Add a short nipple to your valve and then screw this on:
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/servlet...monitor/Detail

__________________


"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway
limulus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #1268
IPAAAA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: ca
Posts: 456
Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
No, I haven't tried it. Here's another kit http://morebeer.com/view_product/175...ermaid_Coolers but I haven't tried this one either. It would be handy to have but I am always afraid of drilling more holes into the cooler.

Check out this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rubb...ometer-171517/
A little on the pricey side but I guess it could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
That looks nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
You could add one of these to your 1/2" valve. Add a short nipple to your valve and then screw this on:
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/servlet...monitor/Detail
Wonder how accurate it would be. Plus where does the probe come out? Looks funky in the picture.
__________________
IPAAAA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #1269
Jeebas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
Jeebas's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 470
Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
You could add one of these to your 1/2" valve. Add a short nipple to your valve and then screw this on:
http://www.homebrewstuff.com/servlet...monitor/Detail
So that fitting would go before the valve? Cooler wall > this thermometer thing > ball valve (and obvously any fittings in between)?
__________________
Jeebas is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #1270
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
limulus's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL Burbs, Georgia
Posts: 1,166
Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebas View Post
So that fitting would go before the valve? Cooler wall > this thermometer thing > ball valve (and obvously any fittings in between)?
I think you could use it before the valve or after the valve depending on your purpose. I think the only fitting you would need is an additional nipple. I recirculate with a pump and I use a PID for temp control in my beverage cooler. I'm thinking about putting one between the cooler and the valve. The valve would be pointing downward or sideways. If pointed down, it would help with gravity flow systems.
__________________


"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway
limulus is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CHEAP 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Water Cooler rj_hockey Equipment/Sanitation 11 05-30-2012 05:26 PM
Rubbermaid conversion bbrim Equipment/Sanitation 2 02-27-2009 10:30 PM
10 gallon and 5 gallon rubbermaid water coolers delivered for 68 bucks. RedOctober Equipment/Sanitation 6 12-12-2008 06:33 PM
Cheap & Easy 5 Gallon Rubbermaid MLT Conversion Brutus Brewer Equipment/Sanitation 1 08-29-2008 04:04 AM
conversion kit for 5 gallon rubbermaid cooler? Steve973 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 08-09-2006 07:21 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS