Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Building my first mashtun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
DonMagee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Building my first mashtun

I'm finally moving to all grain brewing. I picked up a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler from Lowes yesterday

and now I just need to get the parts to put it all together.

I just wanted to do a check that I'm not forgetting anything.

I'm going to do 5-10 gallon batches and batch sparge.

My list is:

1) The cooler
2) Cooler conversion kit ( http://www.bargainfittings.com/index...&product_id=85 ) with the stainless valve
3) A kettle screen ( http://www.bargainfittings.com/index...product_id=171 ) or would it be better to go with the stainless mesh braid ( http://www.bargainfittings.com/index...&product_id=96 )?

Once I get this thing put together my next step is to decide on a 15 gallon kettle and I'll be in business. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

I assume you have a heat source strong enough to do a full boil.

Hi temp vinyl tubing. I use a clear on so I can see how clear the wort is running when I do my vorlauf.

Think about a kettle valve so you don't have to siphon your wort out of the boil kettle. Just easier really.

Other than that it sounds like you will soon be making great all grain batches.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
bchurch
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts

I actually use both types of screen. The steel braid is in my mash tun and the kettle screen is in (oddly enough) my kettle. I use a longer screen in a rectangular cooler but if I had a set up like that I personally would probably go for the kettle screen, it is sturdier and won't move around on you.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I already have a nice propane burner that I've used for full boil extract batches, so I think I should be ok on heat. I did realize that with a 15 gallon pot I'm going to need a larger immersion chiller.

I do need to get 1/2" tubing, currently all I have is my plastic auto-siphon.

Quick Reply