Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Bucket Heater for Elec HLT
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #21
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Update on the Bucket Heater:

1. Running at 936 watts
2. Drawing 8.2 amps
3. Heated 10 gallons in a 50 qt Marine Ice Cube cooler at a rate of 43 deg F/per hour
with the cooler lid closed (power cord feeds through a drilled hole in the lid)
4. Heating rate monitored with a digital thermocouple thermometer via a thermowell
into cooler.

As you can see, keeping the lid closed on the cooler was a big improvement in the heating rate. So in summary, I would say it would probably take between 2-1/2 and 4 hours to heat tap water to 180 F in a well insulated and covered vessel depending primarily on how cold your tap water is initially. Not bad at all IMO.

__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #22
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Tractor Supply is selling them for $34.95

__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #23
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,757
Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

That is a good cooler. I am getting 67 minutes with 936W to heat 10g 43F in one hour at 100% eff. mathematically.

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #24
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Dunno what might be causing the discrpency. The thermowell is positioned near the bottom of the cooler (about 2 inches off the bottom) and I'm measuring the 936 watt power consumption with a Kill-A-Watt meter. The heater is rated at 1000 watts, but I guess that's a rounded number. I think the water in the cooler should be getting fairly well mixed by convection currents. It's still running and I'm going to see if it will get up to boiling. I'll keep checking on the progress and I'll post an update later.

__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #25
Munsoned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 642
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Dunno what might be causing the discrpency. The thermowell is positioned near the bottom of the cooler (about 2 inches off the bottom) and I'm measuring the 936 watt power consumption with a Kill-A-Watt meter. The heater is rated at 1000 watts, but I guess that's a rounded number. I think the water in the cooler should be getting fairly well mixed by convection currents. It's still running and I'm going to see if it will get up to boiling. I'll keep checking on the progress and I'll post an update later.
Did your cooler also start at 44*F? Maybe some heat transfer from the (maybe room temp?) cooler to the water at the early stages helped a tad?
__________________

___________________________
“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” - Mark Twain

Munsoned is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 02:57 AM   #26
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,757
Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

60 minutes, 67... that is close enough...

1000W rated at 120VAC, but if your line voltage is a little less than 120VAC (116VAC), you will have a reduction

__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 03:09 AM   #27
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munsoned View Post
Did your cooler also start at 44*F? Maybe some heat transfer from the (maybe room temp?) cooler to the water at the early stages helped a tad?
The cooler was at the garage temp of about 57 degrees. The tap water was at 44 F. I filled the cooler to 10 gallons, started the heater and waited until the water temp reached 50 F then started the clock. I figured this would eliminate the thermal mass influence of the cooler and give us a better estimate of the average rate of temperature gain.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 03:10 AM   #28
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
60 minutes, 67... that is close enough...

1000W rated at 120VAC, but if your line voltage is a little less than 120VAC (116VAC), you will have a reduction
The line voltage is just shy of 115 v.
__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #29
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,998
Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

Update again:

It's been running for 3 hours and the temp is up to 150 F. The average heating rate has dropped to about 38 F per hour and it's now obvious why. The cooler lid is quite warm, so a lot of heat is escaping the cooler through the lid. The rate of loss increased as the delta between the temperature of the water and the ambient air temp increased. This is destined to get worse as the temp climbs. It's becoming clear that coolers (with uninsulated lids) can keep things cool better than they can keep things hot. Heat rises, duh.

So, the next thing I need to do is inject some foam into the cooler lid to improve the lid insulation. That should help considerably. I'm still heading to a boil if possible, but another test will be required after insulating the lid.

__________________
Catt22 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #30
RegionalChaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Drain, OR
Posts: 606
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
Update on the Bucket Heater:

1. Running at 936 watts
2. Drawing 8.2 amps
3. Heated 10 gallons in a 50 qt Marine Ice Cube cooler at a rate of 43 deg F/per hour
with the cooler lid closed (power cord feeds through a drilled hole in the lid)
4. Heating rate monitored with a digital thermocouple thermometer via a thermowell
into cooler.

As you can see, keeping the lid closed on the cooler was a big improvement in the heating rate. So in summary, I would say it would probably take between 2-1/2 and 4 hours to heat tap water to 180 F in a well insulated and covered vessel depending primarily on how cold your tap water is initially. Not bad at all IMO.
Thanks for the update Catt22! It's always nice to get observational info. Do you think you could easily fit 2 of those in the cooler?
__________________
How I brew: Stir plate starters, Extract, Full boil in a Keggle, 10 gallon batches.
Brewing upgrades in progress: temp controlled ferment, stir plate re-work, building mash tun, milling station

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/
RegionalChaos is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allied 1000W Bucket Heater mZnthebend Fermenters 18 03-15-2011 04:06 PM
I put the aquarium heater inside the bucket, good idea? BeerFun Fermentation & Yeast 3 01-24-2010 04:33 PM
Can't get a boil with new brewpot...bucket heater? Chaos_Being Equipment/Sanitation 7 03-23-2009 03:30 AM
Heatstick/Burner/Bucket Heater FreakinA Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 10-22-2008 03:47 PM
Elec. Stove question Skins_Brew Equipment/Sanitation 1 02-24-2008 03:25 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS