BSP keg tool question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattd2

Reaction score
Ok living in NZ most things come with BSP threads. For my keggle my element is 1-1/4" BSP and I was thinking of either 1/2" or 3/4" BSP couplings for the drain (bottom mounted). I was thinking of using the butt weld reducer type keg tool, only problem is the sizes don't match up as nicely as the NPT fittings.
The 1-1/4" BSP coupling is 47 mm OD, the reducers that most closely match are either 1-1/4" (42 mm) or 1-1/2" (48 mm)
The 3/4" BSP coupling is 31 mm OD, the reducers that most closely match are either 3/4" (27 mm) or 1" (33 mm)
The 1/2" BSP coupling is 25 mm OD, the reducers that most closely match are either 1/2" (21 mm) or 3/4" (27 mm)
What would you guys do, go slightly over and hammer back a little or will the coupling pull through the smaller hole?
Also what would you guys recomend for the valve - 1/2" or 3/4"?
Cheers :mug:

So... No one has anything to help a brother out?

The latest round of couplings that I ordered are slightly smaller than the reducer part in my tool. I tried the pull-it-through-then-hammer-it-back method on one, but decided that it was easier to just get the dimple close and then pull the coupler through it. A few millimeters shouldn't be too tough to overcome.

If I were you, I'd go with the 3/4" coupling and the 3/4" reducer, pull it all of the way through and then pull the coupler through after.

The latest round of couplings that I ordered are slightly smaller than the reducer part in my tool. I tried the pull-it-through-then-hammer-it-back method on one, but decided that it was easier to just get the dimple close and then pull the coupler through it. A few millimeters shouldn't be too tough to overcome.

If I were you, I'd go with the 3/4" coupling and the 3/4" reducer, pull it all of the way through and then pull the coupler through after.

Thanks, exactly the advice I needed. I might put a coupling in the keg lid as a test also, but could be useful for a return line.

Thanks, exactly the advice I needed. I might put a coupling in the keg lid as a test also, but could be useful for a return line.

Hey Mattd, how did that work for you? Did it pull through ok? Any pics of finished product?

Cheers!

Back