Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Botched thermothingy install

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #11
kmudrick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a followup - I followed The Pol's advice and opened up the hole a little bit and jammed the smallest stopper I could find in there. Leak-free now. Next step is to drill a hole in the stopper for me to put a thermometer through.

I can't believe how easy and foolproof (and cheap!) this method is compared to the piece of junk Zymico sells.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 AM   #12
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmudrick View Post
As a followup - I followed The Pol's advice and opened up the hole a little bit and jammed the smallest stopper I could find in there. Leak-free now. Next step is to drill a hole in the stopper for me to put a thermometer through.

I can't believe how easy and foolproof (and cheap!) this method is compared to the piece of junk Zymico sells.
Yup... companies sell some rediculously priced and over-engineered crap.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:20 AM   #13
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmudrick View Post

LOL - You screwed up the install by drilling a bad hole and Zymico is selling junk because of it?

"Except, I did not drill it straight - it went through at an angle. "

Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
kmudrick
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
LOL - You screwed up the install by drilling a bad hole and Zymico is selling junk because of it?

"Except, I did not drill it straight - it went through at an angle. "
Yeah. Theres other threads out there with people having the same problem even when drilling straight. Wish I had read them beforehand. Not to mention the problem where you can't get it very tight. It is a poor design. And drilling into a plastic thick walled vessel, in hindsight, seems stupid.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
DonD13
Recipes 

I did exactly the same thing when drilling my Coleman Extreme MLT for the thermothingy. Fortunately I need a separate 1/2" bulkhead for my sight glass anyway, so I found a fitting that will let me mount both to a stainless 1/2" T fitting and just enlarge the hole to fit a 1/2" nipple.

Carboy 1: Dry Cider batch 2

Carboy 2: Imperial Wit

Bottled/Tap-a-draft: Dry Cider, Tripel, Fat Tire Clone, Belgian Raspberry Ale, Patersbier, Double IPA

Planning: First all grain brew, new brew room, long draw 4 tap keg system/keezer

Quick Reply