Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Boil Kettle Dip Tube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Deofol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Boil Kettle Dip Tube

It's nothing special, but I threw this together on Saturday. I was getting sick of whirl pooling my boils, and loosing the extra wort or having to tip my kettle and ending up getting hops and trub in my fermentor during the siphon.

It's a 1/2 to 3/8 compression fitting, and a little finesse with some copper tube.

I did a test run with water and it did an excellent job of getting every last bit of liquid out. First real test brew will be this week.

Anyone else have similar setups or improved ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
slim chillingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i wanted to incorporate a ss braid into mine for filtering hops and other boil ingredients. this is what i came up with:

there was an accidental added benefit to this unsoldered setup. the loose fittings draw a little bit of air into the piping once the water level is low enough, causing built-in aeration. this wouldn't be beneficial for a CFC setup but with my IC it gives works, gives some nice bubbles running into the carboy.

"I don't understand why everybody is focusing only on details. It is impossible to produce a good beer with details."
Jean-Marie Rock, head brewer at Orval

SERIOUS BUSINESS BREWERY
---serious -mod edit- business---

my commercial beer notes garret oliver on beer and foodjosh oakes on beer and food

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deofol
It's nothing special, but I threw this together on Saturday. I was getting sick of whirl pooling my boils, and loosing the extra wort or having to tip my kettle and ending up getting hops and trub in my fermentor during the siphon.

It's a 1/2 to 3/8 compression fitting, and a little finesse with some copper tube.

I did a test run with water and it did an excellent job of getting every last bit of liquid out. First real test brew will be this week.

Anyone else have similar setups or improved ideas?

A SS scrubby wrapped around the tip of your dip tube! (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!! I crack myself up!!!) No, seriously. You would have the same clearance not to mention the peace of mind that if some hops floated off of the whirlpool cone they wouldn't end up in the fermenter. AND AN ADDED BONUS!!!!! You have a nice sanitized cleaning scrubber handy and ready to go when you are done!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Strong work. I think whirlpooling is still a good idea, though. You won't really have to worry 'bout too much hop matter if you use a paint strainer bag, though. Search "Lil' Sparky is tha man!" for a great device.

Quick Reply